Cycle Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Annextank, Apr 19, 2019.

1. AnnextankValued MemberMember

Hello everyone,

My gf cleaned the filter pads a few weeks ago using tab water just becuase she didn’t know any better and was trying to help, this has reset my cycle, I was adding bacteria and doing 30-40 changes every few days. I went to my fish store which is very good btw not a pet smart or anything and the guy said dose the bacteria everyday and only do 10-15 changes every 2 days. I’ve been doing this but my ammonia is sky rocketing as the water changes have gone down in volume, do I ramp up the bacteria dosing to try and make it establish quicker??

2. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

What kind of bacteria supplements are you using

3. AnnextankValued MemberMember

Microbe-lift nite-out 2

4. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I don’t know much about that but what I did is I just put in half dosage inside my filter tub right behind the biofilter a concentrated dose I’m no expert though.

5. AnnextankValued MemberMember

Good idea, I’ll ask about doing this next time I go.

6. EvanGValued MemberMember

I'm new to this too, but people here are going to want to know the actual numbers of your test results rather than adjectives like "sky rocketing". I'm not familiar with the product you're using, but I would suggest doing 50% changes as often as necessary to keep ammonia and nitrite below 1.0ppm combined along with Seachem Prime or similar to reduce/prevent the negative effects of ammonia and nitrite on the fish. I would add more of the bacteria after each water change.