Cycle help!

1. JacCash Initiate Member

I only have 3 white clouds, 1 clown pleco and 5 baby Molly fry in my 10 gallon tank. My water went from perfect to the picture below in 2 days ( my cycle was only at 6 weeks when I had the unexpected fry ). Doing daily water changes and have already lost both my Molly's in three days. Any ideas on what to do? I have 2 live plants and driftwood in my tank. The light blue nitrite is my tap water test.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What were the readings when the water was perfect?

Have the fish been in the tank from the beginning?

My first instinct would be to rehome the Molly fry. Mollies are far too messy and get too big for a 10g anyway. I believe that the white clouds are too active for a 10 as well.

Do you have Prime?

3. JacCash Initiate Member

Yes, so this was my first crack at the whole fish thing, and as soon as my Molly's had fry, I got a 20 gallon tank, and my friend will take 2 when they are old enough. My PH was 6.8, nitrate was 0 ppm-0.25 ppm and nitrate was 0 and sometimes in between 0 and 5.0.

Do you mean prime as in cycle or water conditioner ( sorry, really new to this! )

So the white clouds have been since after week one. Pleco for just over a week. Fry for 4 days.

Thanks so much for the help!!!

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Didn't see the Clown Pleco on the list, that one needs a bigger home, too. Pleco are messy;)

Prime is a water conditioner that helps by temporarily binding to the nasty products of the cycling process until either the BB can catch up or you can take steps to reduce them through water changes.

Unfortunately a 20 isn't going to be big enough for your current stock either:(

5. JacCash Initiate Member

Okay! I will go look for that tomorrow; thank you!!!

As for the stock...you're kidding me!! So three white clouds, 2 or 3 Molly, and the clown need bigger than a 20 gallon?! I'm not even kidding you when I tell you that at two stores I went into they tried to sell me more fish, and earlier than I wanted ( I had just been doing some light research and new my tank wasn't ready ). I thought all my fish would be happy in the 20. Okay, well thank you for the advice. Me and my fish really appreciate it!!

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You're welcome! Yeah, it's an oft-bemoaned fact that pet stores will usually try to sell regardless of whether it's good for the fish. At least around here we don't stand to profit financially from anything we say ;)

Do you have a 20 high or a 20 long?

7. JacCash Initiate Member

Haha! Yes! Very true! I had bought long, but it is literally still in the starter kit box, and can still be returned if need be. My idea was to try and fix my cycle and if I could in the next few days, I was going to start a chemical cycle on the new tank. So I still have time to swap around!

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

I agree that upgrading to at least a 30g minimum would be best for all the inhabitants. I would then move those fish over to the new tank right away since it would make cycling much easier in a larger tank where it could handle the larger bioload better than a smaller tank.

And I'm not positive so someone else may need to confirm but I think the white clouds would need much cooler temps (60's to low 70's) than the pleco. They're also schooling fish so you would need to keep them in a group of at least 6.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You're correct about the white clouds.

10. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi2

Your nitrites are ridiculously high! I would do two 75% back to back water changes to get them back down to 0. How much water had you been changing out and how often? Are you sure you were ever cycled with the white clouds?

If you want to re-home the Mollies there are tons of fish that would do great in that 20g including platies and guppies, (other live bearers.) It's hard to remember when you have tiny little fry but mollies get to be about 3.5 - 4 inches and they're pigs :)

For now, I'd setup the 20g (if you decide you want to keep it), add your water conditioner, heat and aerate it for a day and then move your fish over and their filter. I'd suggest getting a bottle of Seachem Stability to seed your filter with bacteria.

Pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime if you don't already have it. Test your water parameters daily and if nitrites are below 1.0, dose prime for the full volume of the tank. If those nitrites are close to 1.0 I would do a 50% water changes, re-dose prime. This should keep the fish safe while your cycle finishes up.

White clouds (which I love btw) are part of the carp family, same as goldfish and other minnows, so they're cold water fish. They can tolerate fluctuating temperatures due to seasonal variations (like in a lake or pond) but long term their life will be shortened if they are in water continuously over 70. They are happiest in groups of 6 or more like already mentioned. Maybe you can find some cooler water tropical fish to go with them and lower your temperature to 70? Peppered cories I believe prefer cooler temperatures. Someone else would be able to help better with that than me.

11. JacCash Initiate Member

CindiL, thank you so much for all your information, and for all your brand names of chemicals. This just makes it easier for a beginner like me to go to the fish store and ask or look for a specific product that I know works, so thank you!!

I am going to opt for at least a 30 gallon tank I think, if rather whatever fish I decide to be comfortable. When my tank is properly cycled and stable for at least 6-8 weeks, I will for sure be posting on here in relation to cooler water fish, or whatever I choose. Looking forward to properly stocking my tank this time!!!

In the mean time, I will do 2 large back to back water changes tomorrow. My test tonight was just not much better. When I got my Molly's, the pet store tested my water and told me it was perfect. When I got my pleco 3 days before the fry, they tested it and I asked to see the results this time ( slightly getting smarter as we go...haha) and nitrite was between 0.25 and 0.50 and PH was at 7. Rest was perfect. Then the day after I had the fry, nitrite spiked, and now nitrate went to 20.

Also, thank you L337 for the white cloud/pleco information. I for sure did not know these two had different comfort zones in relation to temperature. That doesn't sit well with me, so thank you for the tip.

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You want nitrates...sort of. They're the end product of the nitrogen cycle and are the least toxic of the 3. 20 isn't really high but with babies in the tank you'll want to do frequent water changes to keep it down:)