Help cycle headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm sure my water company uses chloramine, my tap reading is 1ppm ammonia, 0 NO2 & NO3. I think the chloramine is killing any bacteria trying to grow. I've had a 10 gal tank with 5 guppies in it going for 46 days and it will not cycle. Is there anything to do to remove the chloramine? I use double sometimes triple the amount of prime. Just want this tank to cycle.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
prime (and most other water conditioners) get rid of chloramine, so if you are treating the water then it shouldn't be a problem.

One of the things I think that really drags out a cycling process is bioload vs tank size. Which tank are you talking about and what is stocked in it?

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You are probably right it's a 10 gallon 5 guppy, 2 pepper cat. But I also have a 6gal with 1 Betta thats been going for 54 days and todays readings PH 7.4, NO2 0, NO3 10, Ammonia 1.0 can not get rid of ammonia!!!!!

PS Has that oil spill effected you guys???

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not yet, but its going to big time. The tourism all over the panhandle is going to take a big hit.

Cycling with small tanks can be difficult, especially using fish. There are many variables in play and the smaller a tank is, the more dramatic the effects are on it.

My only suggestion is to get some well cycled filter media in there and reduce the bioload a bit, then see if the bacteria catches up.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Most water conditions state that they remove both chlorine and chloramine.

You have 5 guppies in a 10 gallon tank? For that many, I believe they need more like 20 gallons. If my understanding is correct, then your bioload on your tank is too heavy. As suggested by jetajocky, I'd suggest your reduce your bioload on your tank.

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you guys. Jetajockey I've spent my last 2 vacations at Pensacola I hate it's going to take a hit.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you guys. Jetajockey I've spent my last 2 vacations at Pensacola I hate it's going to take a hit.
That's cool. I've lived here my whole life. The media is really downplaying the ecological effects that the oil is going to have. There has been a lot of misinformation going around, but when it's all said and done the effects are going to be devastating. The reef systems in south florida are delicate as is, I can't imagine what will happen if/when this impacts them.

If we get a reasonably sized hurricane then we are going to be wiping oil off of more than a few pelicans and dolphins, we'll be wiping it off of our houses, cars, and lawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom