Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Cycle For Goldfish The Same As For Tropical?

1. MusicalFish

MusicalFish New Member Member

So - first off, thanks for the help on my first thread.

I'm going to non-fish cycle my tank (50 gallon, just did 50% water change today because of what turns out was probably a bacteria bloom) and it killed my goldfish - lesson hopefully learned. I'll wait it out next time!

So, just to be clear,
    Is the cycle process the same for goldfish as Tropical? (the beginners article seems to be talking about tropical)
    I DO need to let it cycle..right?
    How long does it take for bacterial bloom to clear up and is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

2. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

Yes, a tank for goldfish needs to be cycled. Am I understanding your question correctly?

If your fish died - then I would continue with a fishless cycle.
    I cycled a 20 gallon long with no heater, fishless, planted. It took one month.

3. mclemente06

mclemente06 Valued Member Member

Yes, it is the same. The bacteria resides in a huge range of temperatures and climates so the cycle is the same.

Goldfish produce waste, so they produce ammonia, which is toxic to goldfish, so yes, you need to cycle.

4. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

All freshwater tanks are cycled the same way no matter what fish will be in it. Now do you have other fish in this tank? In order to cycle it you do need an ammonia source still.

Advertising