Help Cycle Crashed

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Please help, my cycle randomly crashed and I don't know why or how to fix it now.

My 37 gallon tank has been set up since January, I did a fishless cycle and once it was ready I moved my fish into it as an upgrade for them. Everything was going well until I added 1 new cory cat in which things got a little iffy, started seeing 0.5 ppm ammonia and figured the BB needed to catch up. But it never did. I also recently upgraded my HOB Aquaclear filter from a 50 to a 70, but I moved over all the old media so it would still have my bacteria colony. The last 2-3 days though I've had 1ppm+ of ammonia. I'm overdosing Prime to help them and doing water changes when

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Please help, my cycle randomly crashed and I don't know why or how to fix it now.

My 37 gallon tank has been set up since January, I did a fishless cycle and once it was ready I moved my fish into it as an upgrade for them. Everything was going well until I added 1 new cory cat in which things got a little iffy, started seeing 0.5 ppm ammonia and figured the BB needed to catch up. But it never did. I also recently upgraded my HOB Aquaclear filter from a 50 to a 70, but I moved over all the old media so it would still have my bacteria colony. The last 2-3 days though I've had 1ppm+ of ammonia. I'm overdosing Prime to help them and doing water changes when
Out of curiosity what substrate/decor/driftwood do you have in this tank?
Was it a juvenille cory?
How long was the media out of water during the transfer?

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you change anything about your feeding routine when you added the new cory? It's possible you upped the feeding a bit too much when you added the new fish.

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just realized some of my post got deleted.. I sometimes overfeed my tank a bit to make sure my corys, snails and otos get enough food but it's always gone within an hour or so, I never see leftover food floating around and rotting. I have Caribsea Naturals sand and no real driftwood, but a few live plants. Some of the plants leaves are yellowing a bit but they're not dying so I don't think that's causing it. I moved my media over right away so it always stayed wet, never became dry. I did swish it around in old tank water though to clean it a bit. I can't figure out what would be causing such high ammonia. I don't think my tank is overstocked?

The part of my post that got deleted said that my fish are all doing well, swimming and eating normally and my corys even just spawned. I added a big bottle of Tetra Safe Start to help things along. The cory I added was pretty small but has been growing quickly

upinak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Sometimes just adding one extra fish can cause this, as my husband and I have noticed. How big is the cory?

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The part of my post that got deleted said that my fish are all doing well, swimming and eating normally and my corys even just spawned. I added a big bottle of Tetra Safe Start to help things along. The cory I added was pretty small but has been growing quickly
Safestart will give you inaccurate readings for a little while.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom