Cycle crash?

CoryKat

Last week I tested my 5 gallon betta tank's water and it came back cycled. No ammonia, no nitrites and a small amount of nitrates. Now, a week later, I'm testing the water and there's about <.25 ppm ammonia and 0 nitrates. I did add a mystery snail two days ago, but I haven't done anything else except top off the water. What happened? Did the cycle crash?

Edit: pH is 7.6

mattgirl

Adding the snail added to the bio-load (more ammonia) in this tank. The bacteria needs to catch up with it. It shouldn't take long to grow enough bacteria to clean out the extra ammonia. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change out half the water. Be sure you add your water conditioner to the fresh water and also to any water you use to top off for evaporation.

Dechi

How did you cycle your tank ?

CoryKat

mattgirl said:
Adding the snail added to the bio-load (more ammonia) in this tank. The bacteria needs to catch up with it. It shouldn't take long to grow enough bacteria to clean out the extra ammonia. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change out half the water. Be sure you add your water conditioner to the fresh water and also to any water you use to top off for evaporation.
Okay, thank you!

Dechi said:
How did you cycle your tank ?
I did a fish-less cycle and used some API Quick Start and a sponge filter from another tank to help it along.

Dechi

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom