Cycle Complete??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by mtorts, Apr 21, 2017.

1. mtorts

mtortsNew MemberMember

just started cycling my tank 3 days ago but had it seeded with a good amount of media from a established tank. Here are my results with a api test kit. Keep in mind I have a lot of coral and it's going to be a cichlid tank so I don't mind the high ph.

Ph- 8.0-8.2
    Ammonia- 0.25ppm or less
    Nitrite- 0.50ppm
    Nitrate- 20ppm

You think it's ready for fish after a few water changes?? Thanks

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

3. OP
    OP
    mtorts

mtortsNew MemberMember

Yes there's a small amount of nitrites but I thought nitrates were the last stage stage in the cycle ??

4. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't say you are cycled yet. Not until you have zero Ammonia and zero nitrites. You need more of the nitrifying bacteria to grow. There are some present that is why you have nitrates. Just not enough to be fully cycled yet. You are almost there though. Shouldn't be too much longer. Just keep doing what you have been doing.

5. OP
    OP
    mtorts

mtortsNew MemberMember

Ok great thanks everyone I'll wait and keep testing.

6. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

7. aquatickeeper

You can have some ammonia when a cycle is finished but I think if nitrites are present, you aren't cycled.

8. OP
    OP
    mtorts

mtortsNew MemberMember

I will keep a eye on it I'm sure it will happen shortly. Should I bother to do a water change or no. There's no fish in the tank.

9. aquatickeeper

Are you using a bacteria supplement? If so, what kind?

10. OP
    OP
    mtorts

mtortsNew MemberMember

No not any bought supplement just media from my 20g tank. I have some of the gravel in there I have a established filter cartridge in there and a large fake plant. That should be a good amount of beniificial bacteria I think ??

11. aquatickeeper

Oh, so you got some of the media from an established tank. I would just let it sit next to the new media in the new filter for 4 weeks. Then, you can remove the old media and put it back to the old filter.

12. OP
    OP
    mtorts

mtortsNew MemberMember

Ok ya that's how it's set up right now