Cycle Complete, How Often To Add New Fish 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by GreekGills, Apr 21, 2018.

1. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

Finally finished cycling my 29gal and have my first Green Tiger Barb. Only added 1 Barb to avoid a mini cycle. Everything is going good after 24hrs, actively swimming and seeking food. Parameters are temp-77f Amm-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-5 pH-6.4

How soon could I add more? I know keeping them in a school of 6-8 is ideal and don't want any of them stressing over having too little numbers. I'm confident I've built a strong enough colony to handle a couple more fish.

This is my first fishless cycle, and only my 2nd ever tank (one other betta tank doing great) Just looking for some experience advice :)

2. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Were you dosing ammonium chloride for the fishless cycle? 1 barb in a 29 gallon is going to do nothing, you’ll actually need to add more fish soon to avoid bacteria die off.
    The amount of bacteria you have depends on how much ammonia you were cycling with. More than likely, you can add a small school right off the bat.

3. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

Yes I was dosing dr tims ammonia to 2ppm. What size school would be safe to start with? I also have a lot of filtration, a biowheel 400 and a large sponge filter to handle the bioload

4. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Tiger barbs tend to be a bit nippy in small numbers. It might be a good idea to go ahead and fill out your school of at least 6 right away. 6 should not over load your new cycle and should also be enough of a bio load to continue feeding your cycle.

It should be a big enough school to keep them from nipping each other too.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  5. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Honestly I’m my opinion, get the fish you want, complete what schools need to be complete.

So when your ready to add just add the fish in a span of 1-3 hours. I added 20 fish in a 55g in a span of 2-3 hours to avoid any problems.

Reason doing this...if you buy fish first and a few weeks later you buy another fish(es) you risk the introduction of parasites or other problems to your tank.

6. GreekGillsValued MemberMember

Thank you for the advice, I went and purchased the rest of the school and have them acclimating now. A total of 7 should make for a nice school.

7. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

You are very welcome. Yep, 7 should keep them happy instead of nippy :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice