cycle and cleaning 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by jersey, Apr 9, 2010.

1. jersey

jerseyValued MemberMember

Okay so my tank seems to be stable now with the cycle and everything. What I am wondering is when should I clean the filter. When I do my next waterchange should I take the basket out (I have an ac70) and see what the sponge looks like? or just leave it for a couple weeks. What should the sponge look like when it needs cleaning?

Also, how long can the carbon stay in the filter. Are there any problems it would create if it goes bad? or does it just stop working and its fine. That question is for my 10G /w a topfin 30 tank because it has one of those floss like cartriges with carbon in it. And I'm not sure how to get the carbon out of it so I can still use the floss.

And last but not least I have some pantyhose on the 10G tank's filter for my shrimp is it blocking the flow of the filter? Because I wonder if some bigger food particles or stuff should be able to go up the tube.

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

if you are freshly cycled, id leave it for a few months....if you need to remove the carbon (which should be done once a month) just cut a slit in the cartridge and dump out the carbon.....put the cartridge back in the filter..if you choose to continue to run carbon (its a personal choice) just use the carbon bags that can go right in the filter area....pantyhose will not hurt the filter intake but make sure its hose that has NOT seen any detergents :)

3. OP
    OP
    jersey

no haha my mom had a bunch of unopened pantyhose in her closet and she gave me a really ugly colour to use. so i think its good. now i have heard that carbon keeps the water clear what would the tank look like without carbon because if it looks pretty well the same the carbon isnt really a big deal. what are the pros and cons to using/not using it.

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I think the biggest reason alot recommend not using carbon is that it really absorbs and acts like a sponge and puts all the stuff back in the tank after 3-4 weeks and most do not change it out after that...I run carbon on ALL of my tanks now.... . but its changed out every 3 weeks....to me its another cost of owning fish tanks..but one worth it to me...its a bag in both cases and mines a canister also on the 75 gal but a hob in my 20 gal.....and I do notice a HUGE difference when using it and when I dont...my clarity is better, and my water changes are much less when I run carbon...and 99% of the time, ppl dont use carbon to save money ....but im willing to pay once a month to change mine to save on my back from more water changes ...so its a matter of if you want to spend the extra and change it often or not...

heres some links and you can search more on the site for some :)

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-beginners/37894-carbon-question.html

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/polls/39483-do-you-use-carbon.html

5. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

With your AC70, most of the good bacteria should be in the ceramic media, so you should be able to clean the sponge in some used tank water. It will probably be all brown at this point.

6. OP
    OP
    jersey

ok thank you i just read those. now im wondering i do want to use carbon in my filters but could i use less carbon. in my ac70 i have a ac70 carbon bag but could i use a ac20 or 30 carbon bag since its just a 29 gallon tank?

7. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

You probably could, but why not just use the one for the AC70? I'm guessing it will be about the same price wise. And if not you could always buy loose carbon and a media bag, which would probably be the cheapest way to go.

8. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Since using carbon isn't completely necessary, using less than the filter manufacturers recomendation shouldn't be a problem at all. You can actually save a few bucks by buying a small mesh media bag and loose carbon rather than using the AC prepackaged ones. You can decide how much or how little to use and you can fill any extra space in the filter with more biomax rings, sponge, or filter floss to allow for more bio filtration.

9. OP
    OP
    jersey

yeah there is a few dollars difference between the 30/70 ones. i find it easier for me to just use the prepackaged ones. i think im going to go that route and add some more stuff for bio filtration since i do like the way the carbon makes the tank look.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice