Cycle Almost Done?

kashbill

Reaction score
my 10 gallon just done the cycle, perhaps i think, first week i use cheap fish food and it make my tank cloudy, smell and phosphate,all new setup with stability and prime,because of that phosphate i drain all and redo again,this time using corycat food 2 pellet a day, first day of redo just once stability and keep feeding until the week done.By Sunday ammonia decrease to 0.25,nitrite 0 and 40nitrate. 3rd week every other day change 50% wc, reading 0.10ammonia ,nitrite 0, nitrate 20.Yesterday night do 100% wc, reading 0 ammonia, 0nitite, 10ppm nitrate. Btw ph6.4 maintain always even after 100%wc. Question is, after monitor thing like ph maintain same, nitrite same, ammonia almost same, does it mean i almost done?

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
kashbill said:
my 10 gallon just done the cycle, perhaps i think, first week i use cheap fish food and it make my tank cloudy, smell and phosphate,all new setup with stability and prime,because of that phosphate i drain all and redo again,this time using corycat food 2 pellet a day, first day of redo just once stability and keep feeding until the week done.By Sunday ammonia decrease to 0.25,nitrite 0 and 40nitrate. 3rd week every other day change 50% wc, reading 0.10ammonia ,nitrite 0, nitrate 20.Yesterday night do 100% wc, reading 0 ammonia, 0nitite, 10ppm nitrate. Btw ph6.4 maintain always even after 100%wc. Question is, after monitor thing like ph maintain same, nitrite same, ammonia almost same, does it mean i almost done?
it's hard to guess when you've been using fish food as an ammonia source. what you want is to be able to add an ammonia source and have the ammonia & nitrite remain at 0,0.

your bacteria will have grown to the amount of ammonia you fed the tank. so think about how much food you'll feed any fish you add & make sure you're feeding the tank that amount & there are no spikes in ammonia or nitrite.

when you get fish, go slowly. add 1-2 at a time a week apart and keep checking your parameters daily.

0,0,10 are great numbers so you may well be cycled but every time you add more bio load your bacteria need to catch up

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It shouldn’t take your bacteria more than a few days to catch up, but if you overload it right away, that few days can turn into much longer. So go slow, and test your water before adding new fish/test it to make sure your current finned friends are safe

kashbill

Reaction score
Jenoli42 said:
it's hard to guess when you've been using fish food as an ammonia source. what you want is to be able to add an ammonia source and have the ammonia & nitrite remain at 0,0.

your bacteria will have grown to the amount of ammonia you fed the tank. so think about how much food you'll feed any fish you add & make sure you're feeding the tank that amount & there are no spikes in ammonia or nitrite.

when you get fish, go slowly. add 1-2 at a time a week apart and keep checking your parameters daily.

0,0,10 are great numbers so you may well be cycled but every time you add more bio load your bacteria need to catch up
thanks finally waiting for so long, my 3 small cory albino start digging around tank, looks they more active than before

Kristian Acevedo said:
It shouldn’t take your bacteria more than a few days to catch up, but if you overload it right away, that few days can turn into much longer. So go slow, and test your water before adding new fish/test it to make sure your current finned friends are safe
thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom