Cyanobacteria + Chemipure

fishydaddy

My 20 gallon long has gotten to the point where I needed to resort to chemicals to eradicate the cyanobacteria issue that has persisted since the tank has been set up. I've tried water changes, a UV sterilizer, and excel with no luck. Doesn't seem to be an excess light or nutrient issue either. So onto Chemipure it is! I've heard great things about this product and wanted to give it a try.

So far, I have done two treatments and just started my third. Each treatment has lasted two days with a 25% water change and removal of cyano in between. I'm also aerating heavily of course.
I am still seeing patches of cyano on the aquasoil, leaves of plants, roots of floaters, on my wood/rocks, and in the terrestrial areas of the tank where I've made waterfalls. It looks about the same as it does a few days after I do a tank cleaning, the growth rate of the cyano seems about the same.
Is there a point where treating with Chemipure can become too much? I've looked into the ingredients as best I can (they're not readily available) so I'm slightly worried about using an erythromycin product continuously.

I'm also concerned that I may be harboring pockets of cyano in my terrestrial areas as it seems to like to grow in the moss and areas where water pools slightly. I poured some water/Chemipure mixture onto those areas in the hope that would kill it off, but we will see.
The roots of my floaters are also pretty covered still, I may just need to toss them at this point.

So, what would y'all do? Just treat until it's completely gone? Or call it a day after a certain amount of treatments. I really don't want to restart this tank as I have some really cool plant growth going on.
Pic for fun and also to give context to the kind of tank it is (may be helpful for solving the mystery of why the cyano is so bad in this tank)

Attachments

• 20210930_183926.jpg
    20210930_183926.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 15

sattelmauser

when i treated my 20g tank with that, i think i did two or three treatments. It eventually killed it all. but yeah, i do think there comes a point when it's too much. didn't seem to affect any of my fish.

mattgirl

I used UltraLife blue green slime stain remover. The first treatment seemed to have killed all of it off but just to make sure I went ahead and added the second treatment. It has not come back. Maybe it would work as well for you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
leftswerve
  • schmartiepantz
  • Algae
Replies
Views
FantasyFanVII
Replies
Views
WinterSoldier.