Cyano Bacteria

FancyGoldfish

Reaction score
new aquarium has red cyano bacteria. What should I do to get rid of it and how do I prevent it from happening again in future? My tank gets some sunlight from windows on one side. 32 gallon biocube.

Attachments

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The sunlight is part of the problem. How long do you run your lights? How often do you feed and how much? How much flow does the tank have from the powerhead/wavemaker?

FancyGoldfish

Reaction score
The sunlight is part of the problem. How long do you run your lights? How often do you feed and how much? How much flow does the tank have from the powerhead/wavemaker?
I run full blast from 9:30 to 8, blue lights from 7:30 to 10:00. I feed once every other day. Flow is 264 gph but I have 2 koralia powerhead a I can put into action.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Flow is definitely light for that size of a tank. My LFS was running a 32 gallon Biocube (with Corals) and was running a Hydor Koralia 3rd Gen pushing 1350gph. Also those lights are being run WAY TOO LONG. 8 hours max of ANY kind of lighting. Flow and Excess lighting are the issues you are having right now that are contributing to Cyano. The turn over rate is much higher with a salty tank even if there are no corals.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will fix, but isn’t the gph not to be too high if you don’t want sand flying around?
Nope, just use a wider flow head on it and it should be fine. I ran a single 1950gph on my 36 gallon bowfront with no issues.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 16 35.6%

Top Bottom