Cyano And Sand Help Question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JamieLu, Jul 15, 2019.

1. JamieLu

JamieLuWell Known MemberMember

So i have the beginning of cyano bac in my tank, as of now its only in certain spots between the sand and glass. I tried scooping some of the sand and soaking in h202 but i know i didnt get it all so i tried mixing up the sand a bit to bury it. Ive never dealt with this and dont want it to get out of hand, im already dealing wit staghorn so it kinda sucks. And advice or help on gettin rid of it in the sand and also prevention would b much appreciated!

2. mlash

mlashValued MemberMember

I had it really bad and I used Chemiclean. It states on the box that it works for red but if you go to the website it state that it works for all cyano. I used it on mine and it got rid of all of it in 48hrs. I have not had any since. You can also use blue-green stain remover" but that takes up to a week to get rid of it.

3. OP
    OP
    JamieLu

Ok nice, ill research both and i appreciate ur help! Also, those are fish&snail safe?

4. mlash

mlashValued MemberMember

Yes, it did not hurt any of my fish or snails (the chemiclean).

5. hanra85

hanra85Valued MemberMember

+1 agree with using chemiclean. I thought they were selling me the wrong stuff too at first since it says it's for stains from red slime or something but it did the trick.

6. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

7. OP
    OP
    JamieLu

I do 50% on both tanks weekly, but only my 75gal has cyano and staghorn. I also vacuum the sand as best as i can, and yes, i clean the filter once a month in tank water. Also i have anacharis, hornwort, duckweed and 1 java fern but have had to throw away a good portion of my hornwort due to staghorn.

8. OP
    OP
    JamieLu

Hi there, i got the chemi clean and just dose my tank. I thought it said to leave it for 3 days but it actually says 2 days. The thing is ill be gone from tonight til saturday night, so i will not be able to do the water changes as the instructions say til saturday night, do u think they will be okay til then? Im super nervous ill come back to a tank full of dead fish/snails and i have a few babies too... but it says only a 20% water change, so maybe its not too bad if left in a bit longer? Also, it prob b best to stir the sand a bit before i leave since some of the cyano is a bit deeper in the sand? Thx for ur help!

9. mlash

mlashValued MemberMember

I don't know if it will harm the fish or not. I would say to just make sure you have good aeration in the tank so your fish won't die from lack of oxygen. But yeah your right it's only a 20% water change they ask for. If it were me I would not be concerned.

10. OP
    OP
    JamieLu

Ok i really appreciate it! I have a hob filter on one side and a huge sponge filter on the other so plenty of surface agitation for sure, atleast i hope so! Thanks for putting my mind at ease a bit!