Cuttlefish Bone For Calcium Or Veggies

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by tjander, Aug 22, 2019.

1. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So this might stir up some debate. We all know shrimp need calcium to molt properly. My question is which is better? Bone or Veggies ( or shrimp food )

I subscribed to the KISS principle so IMO better is defined by easier. Obviously drop a chunk of cuttlefish bone in the tank or filter and it’s done easy right? Other wise it’s blanching the veggies putting them in the tank pulling them out.... yada yada yada.

Also, while on that topic of bone is better in the filter or in the tank? I would think in the tank the shrimp can graze off of it but again IDK for sure.

So let me know what you think and what has worked best for you.

@richie, I can almost be certain of your answer. Lol. Still would like to hear your rational.

2. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I’m more of a food person myself. So I vote veggies. People will also use cuttle bone for ph or hardness too I think though. I tried a piece once for my snail. It ended up smelling so foul that I took it out.

3. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,454
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Your right butty @tjander I'm a firm believer to condition your shrimp properly is for them to digest food that as protein mineral so it can be absorbed by them guaranteeing them a healthy and 2yearish life,

4. OP
    OP
    tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So here is the question could there be a down side to Cuttlebone? I have never had it smell but could there be another down side?

5. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,319
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Use cuttlebone, put in your power filter, if you have one. Feed veggie based foods, Ken,s fish supply has a really good sinking pellet that is veggie and calcium, still use the cuttlebone.

6. Mxracer6y

Mxracer6yNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Foods work well because it is directly digested and absorbed by the shrimp. You can also drop cuttlebone directly in the tank for them to graze on. IMO putting it in the filter is essentially useless because it will take FOREVER to dissolve in your tank unless your PH is low / acidic.

If you need to add calcium to the water column you can use https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Calcium-without/dp/B000UJPHL8?tag=fishlore-20

Calcium carbonate is extremely insoluble in water plain water, so you'll need to buy yourself some carbonated water, add the calcium to it and shake it up with the cap on. shake every 10 minutes or so for 60 min.(the c02 + high pressure helps to dissolve the calcium. You could technically do this with egg shells as well to help dissolve them before adding to tank) Then eventually leave the cap off for the c02 to off gas... and then you can add to your tank

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019