Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Cuttlebone Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ricksza, Feb 23, 2019.

1. RickszaValued MemberMember

I've had 20 shrimp in my divided 10 gal. for about 3 weeks now. Running a sponge filter on each side. Each side has a coconut hut, a marimo ball and some java moss. More plants (water sprite) going in this week. They appear to be grazing on the biofilm constantly. I add a small amount of Bacter AE with the weekly 10% water change. They, so far, have ignored 4 different foods I've put in their dishes. Question I have is: I bought a 6" cuttlebone and broke it into 4 pieces. 1 piece went into each side of my tank. One sank after a couple of days and the other is still floating after 3 weeks. Any idea on why? What should I do?
    Latest tank readings: pH – 7.6 ppm, HI pH – 7.4 ppm, Ammonia – 0 ppm, Nitrite – 0 ppm, Nitrate – 10 ppm, GH – 5 dKH, KH – 4 dKH, TDS - 198, 76°.
    Tank 02-16-19.JPG
    [​IMG]

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Cuttlefish is very porous and it may not even sink, the part that as maybe a little more dense than the other, the bit that as sunk is only just on the bottom, get some strips of led they use for holding plants down and force it through the cuttle folding both sides that will do it, stop feeding for 2 or 3 days then try food again if they still don't go for it stop again for 2 days then try a 1inch bit f broccoli stem cooked as normal and cut in half (photos) if the food is notched in 2hrs take it out again and repeate the process, as it stands there may be to much food in there,stop the bactor AE for a fortnight as well, little tip the jarva moss will become a mess like that get a small piece of wood from your lfs soak it to get some of the tannins out then get the moss and bind it to the wood it will grow nice and stop the tank getting in a mess. See how you get on with that

Attached Files:

3. RickszaValued MemberMember

Great ideas, thank you.

Since I really don't have a lot of room, I was thinking of tying the java moss to some stainless steel mesh to make it into a mat.

4. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

The steel mesh will work or You could also do something like this leave it flat and sucker a carpet wall or do as I done

Attached Files:

5. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

If you boil cuttlebone for a minute, it should sink right away.

6. RickszaValued MemberMember

I’ll need a lot more moss to do that.

I’ll need to try that.

After boiling and cooling down, it sank right to the bottom. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2019
  7. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

So, I was wondering, what kind of cuttlebone you use? I can only find it for birds. Is this what people use in tanks??

8. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Yup

9. abarbWell Known MemberMember

I think almost everyone uses the ones for birds.

10. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Ok, thanks!!!

11. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

@Ricksza I tried your method of boiling and guess what it sunk :) all.these years and never thought to boil it, thanks for the tip

12. RickszaValued MemberMember

Thank Iboughtmykidfish . That's who gave me the information.