Question Cuttlebone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricksza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had 20 shrimp in my divided 10 gal. for about 3 weeks now. Running a sponge filter on each side. Each side has a coconut hut, a marimo ball and some java moss. More plants (water sprite) going in this week. They appear to be grazing on the biofilm constantly. I add a small amount of Bacter AE with the weekly 10% water change. They, so far, have ignored 4 different foods I've put in their dishes. Question I have is: I bought a 6" cuttlebone and broke it into 4 pieces. 1 piece went into each side of my tank. One sank after a couple of days and the other is still floating after 3 weeks. Any idea on why? What should I do?
Latest tank readings: pH – 7.6 ppm, HI pH – 7.4 ppm, Ammonia – 0 ppm, Nitrite – 0 ppm, Nitrate – 10 ppm, GH – 5 dKH, KH – 4 dKH, TDS - 198, 76°.
Tank 02-16-19.JPG

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cuttlefish is very porous and it may not even sink, the part that as maybe a little more dense than the other, the bit that as sunk is only just on the bottom, get some strips of led they use for holding plants down and force it through the cuttle folding both sides that will do it, stop feeding for 2 or 3 days then try food again if they still don't go for it stop again for 2 days then try a 1inch bit f broccoli stem cooked as normal and cut in half (photos) if the food is notched in 2hrs take it out again and repeate the process, as it stands there may be to much food in there,stop the bactor AE for a fortnight as well, little tip the jarva moss will become a mess like that get a small piece of wood from your lfs soak it to get some of the tannins out then get the moss and bind it to the wood it will grow nice and stop the tank getting in a mess. See how you get on with that

Attachments

OP
Ricksza

Ricksza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar