Cuttlebone For Snails.

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Cs10388, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Cs10388

Cs10388New MemberMember

I saw some where that floating a cuttlebone in your tank is a good source of calcium for mystery snails. Anybody else heard of this? I don't like putting calcium powder in my tank. But I need more calcium.

2. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Most people put it in their filter, but yes cuddlebone is good for snails. It also raises the ph a bit, which you may or may not want...

3. OP
    OP
    Cs10388

Cs10388New MemberMember

Yeah, my pH runs about 6.4. Which is a bit low, I've read, for mystery snails. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who has heard that before.

4. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Yep, I would add cuddlebone if you can :) from everything that I've read, they like ph from 7.2-7.8 (though mine are doing great at 8.2 lol)
    Also, are you supplementing their diet at all? Giving them cucumber or broccoli or other foods that are high in calcium would help.

@Junne is much more knowledgeable about mystery snails than I am though :)

5. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

You don't have to float it in your tank. You can break it up and put it into your filter too. That way it won't just be a big white thing floating around in your water

6. OP
    OP
    Cs10388

Cs10388New MemberMember

I have cuttlebone just floating around for now. It doesn't bother me. Lol.

Just got them yesterday so I haven't given them fresh yet. Gunna get some cucumber tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice