Question Cuttlebone For Kh.

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hello fishlore,

I am having trouble with my water hardness (both kH and gH) and was thinking about putting cuttle bone in my tank. I don’t have room in my filter, so I would just lay it on my substrate.

I have a few questions.

Would it stabilize and hold the kH and gH at a certain level?

Does cuttle bone sink?

If it doesn’t sink, do you have a way that looks cool, or is attractive?

Can any cuttle bone work? I have Living World’s Cuttlebone.

Would snails and shrimp eat it?

How much would it raise pH? (pH is 7.1-7.2 right now)

Thanks for any info!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hello fishlore,

I am having trouble with my water hardness (both kH and gH) and was thinking about putting cuttle bone in my tank. I don’t have room in my filter, so I would just lay it on my substrate.

I have a few questions.

Would it stabilize and hold the kH and gH at a certain level?

Does cuttle bone sink?

If it doesn’t sink, do you have a way that looks cool, or is attractive?

Can any cuttle bone work? I have Living World’s Cuttlebone.

Would snails and shrimp eat it?

How much would it raise pH? (pH is 7.1-7.2 right now)

Thanks for any info!
What ARE your GH and KH? I've never heard of a cuttlebone being used to raise KH, but I don't know why it wouldn't. It will eventually sink but you can weigh it down by placing the edge under a rock, or sink it with aquarium weights. Snails and shrimp will eat it. No way to answer how much it would raise pH. There's no calculation for that because there are too many variables to consider ie acidity of water, surface area of cuttle bone, water flow over the cuttlebone, current GH/KH, temperature of the water...

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What ARE your GH and KH? I've never heard of a cuttlebone being used to raise KH, but I don't know why it wouldn't. It will eventually sink but you can weigh it down by placing the edge under a rock, or sink it with aquarium weights. Snails and shrimp will eat it. No way to answer how much it would raise pH. There's no calculation for that because there are too many variables to consider ie acidity of water, surface area of cuttle bone, water flow over the cuttlebone, current GH/KH, temperature of the water...
I’m only wondering for during cycle since I am not doing frequent water changes. When I do water changes this won’t be a problem. Thanks anyway!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom