Cuttle fish

1. Snake Initiate Member

I love cuttle fish! And I've always wanted one, does anyone know how to keep them?

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

3. Snake Initiate Member

Thanks Isabella!
    Now you know why i love Cuttlefish or Sepia and thanks to you now i have hope. :D
    It should be easy for me to get a hold on one seeing i live in Australia and (when fishing) caught many of them!

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Another Aussie!! Welcome I think J-Man is from australia also(I know its a big country).
    Carol

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Big and beautiful country, from what I have seen on TV and in the magazines. I'd like to go to Australia one day :)

6. Snake Initiate Member

You should definitely come! TV and Magazines have never lied to me yet! ::)
    For all you Americans it's really cheap, unfortunately it's not vice versa! ;) Also what's this place Walmart I've heard about (Not all good). ???

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Wal-Mart is a huge store that has everything, but because they have such a huge variety of merchandise the people who work there usually have no expeerience with fish. So sometimes their fish aren't in the greatest shape, and employees sometimes give out erroneous advice leading people to buy fish they shouldn't. As with anything its a case of "buyer beware". Just like when you buy anything.
    Carol

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

walmart has pretty bad, and usually diseased, fish but they have great supplies, and all for much cheaper, sometimes even half the price, of other stores. I got some flakes there for half the price of the same container same thing at another pet store i saw it at. so just dont listen to the folks there, and dont buy their fish.... :D

9. Jason Well Known Member Member

Hi Snake, finally got round to getting on the net after a long Christmas! Cuttlefish and Australia are both cool. I've never seen anyone put cuttlefish in the Aquarium maybe because they grow fairly big and are predatory but they're definately cool. Changing colour and to everyone else they are similiar to squid.

Wait I was just reading somwhere else that they're have been people which keep them. There is also a European version but none near the US.
    Here is a pic, they can change both their colour and texture to mimic the environment as they are ambush predators

http://www.seattleyates.com/Cuttlefish threatening.jpg

Attached Files:

10. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I am a cuttlefish murderer lol...parakeets sharpen beaks on cuttlefish bone... ;D

11. Jason Well Known Member Member

;D LOL

They are sometimes washed up on the shore

12. Fey Initiate Member

Just a little off topic, because Cuttle fish is something that my family mixes in seafood salads (sorry), but as to the local Walmart here. We are soooo lucky. At the one that is closest to me is a super center, and we have an older gentleman taking care of that department. He is actually very knowledgable, and takes pride in his tanks. He lists his water results daily, orders funky fish that even the lfs does not get, offers to let you test the water yourself, and actually has not for sale quarantine tanks. He told me that he has been into this hobby for 25 years, and requested to be in charge of the fish tanks. So, I lucked out. Unfortunately, when I needed to ask him about the driftwood yesterday, he was off duty :(. It rare, and isn't the norm,. but we did luck out!

As for Australia. OMG it's such a beautiful country, and the people are wicked cool! It was one of the best places to visit for us "obnoxiuos Americans" ;D. If anyone ever saves the money, it is so worth the visit!

13. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

on the Wal-Mart topic wal mart sucks at least the one by me. they have like 12 tanks and all the fish look horrible and the tanks are disgusting and nobody is ever by them and ther fish supplies are really cheap but you have to be able to find them since ther such a mes most of the time and they usually only have goldfish flakes sometimes i can find tropical flakes made by tetra and other companys