cuttings?

do you take cuttings of your aquarium plants?

• no, just leave them to grow indefinitely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes i cut and replant (take cuttings)

• i trim the plants and discard the trimmings

• nothing yet, but intend to cut and replant

• nothing yet, but intend to trim and discard

• Total voters

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
just thinking about a thread i read last night about cuttings and then had a look at my tanks today deciding what to do next and where to put some plants i have on order, so i sorted out my plants as they had reached the top of the water once again, so chopped them in half once again and planted them. then got wondering if everyone elses plants grow so rapidly (mine get chopped in half every month, sometimes more often) and what everyone else does about it? do they leave them? chop and re plant or chop and discard?
tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It depends on the plant for me, Java Fern and Anubias I just let get bigger and bigger. Stem plants I cut and replant. Hey free plants !
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
It depends on the plant for me, Java Fern and Anubias I just let get bigger and bigger. Stem plants I cut and replant. Hey free plants !
Carol
my anubia is getting huge, but i dont know how to propagate those, so it can just keep growing! my shrimps love to hide in it too. you can hardly see the rock its attached to anymore!
the stalky plants just get chopped and planted! my 45 gal is all from cuttings (except the anubia) as is my galaxy tank. as you said...free plants!! tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can take a sharp knife or scissors(but have to be sharp) and cut the rhizome. Also I have been told if you make shallow cuts on the rhizome new plants will grow where you cut.
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
wow carol! not only do you have the answers to every plec question i have, but plants as well! you are a star!! wish you were my neighbour!! will try that. must make sure i evict the shrimps temporarily!! dont want them scuttling about the house!! tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like to experiment with my plants
Carol

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
plants are something we still need to learn about.. so far, we've not done well with bulbs or the tubed plants.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
plants are something we still need to learn about.. so far, we've not done well with bulbs or the tubed plants.
keep trying!! they are great and if i can do it anyone can! i use fertiliser while they settle in and they get plenty of light! other than that they just do their own thing!
tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
what do you use for fertilizing your plants?

poppet

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand people who only use artificial plants.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
poppet said:
I just don't understand people who only use artificial plants.
Our bettas need live or at the least silk plants. we had little luck with those stupid bulbs they sell and about the same luck with the plants sold in tubes at the pet store. we're going to a betta show next week and hopefully can pick up some good healthy plants and fertilizer for them.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
is a great place to learn about plants. Tell them butterfly sent you
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
just "king british" plant fertiliser liquid. and the last lot of plants i bought came with these free tablets you push into the gravel in the roots, so i used them! tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tan.b said:
FLBettaCouple said:
just "king british" plant fertiliser liquid. and the last lot of plants i bought came with these free tablets you push into the gravel in the roots, so i used them! tan
hmm.. well i don't have that here, so i guess you'll need to mail me some along with the galaxy rasboras and weetabix then.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
hmm.. well i don't have that here, so i guess you'll need to mail me some along with the galaxy rasboras and weetabix then.
i have my list: galaxies, weetabix, farleys, plant fert.....

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I only have 2 species right now: Dwarf Sag and Amazon swords... so far both are thriving and I haven't had to mess with them.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tan.b said:
FLBettaCouple said:
could you overnight that to me, also?

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
tan.b said:
FLBettaCouple said:
could you overnight that to me, also?
lol tan

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Jim said:
I only have 2 species right now: Dwarf Sag and Amazon swords... so far both are thriving and I haven't had to mess with them.
theres time yet for mulitiple plant syndrome!! it tends to occur along with mutiple tank syndrome and multiple fish syndrome! good luck! tan

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I depends upon the plants...I've split my red cryptos several times. Others I just thin them out and discard the leaves.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom