Cuts + Tank Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SuperK, Apr 26, 2017.

1. SuperKWell Known MemberMember

I got a nasty little cut on my hand from stupidly opening a package with some scissors (I held them by the blades for whatever reason lol) and yeah... I was wondering if it'd be okay to stick my hand in my tank, was gonna move some stuff around n that. I don't want it to get infected. Unfortunately it's my dominant hand, suppose I could try with the left but I don't see the point if I'll be okay. Just a dumb question but I've heard of people getting pink eye n all sorts from their tank water.

2. AllenDahlNew MemberMember

I would not recommend getting any tank water in an open wound. I have gotten sick from playing around in my tank and forgetting to wash my hands. The water can harbor all kinds of parasites. I would either wear a glove and ensure no water gets inside, use your other hand, or wait it out.

3. SuperKWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! I thought the same thing tbh. I'll wait it out, it's not too big so it should heal fast. I'll just do a water change for now.

4. max hWell Known MemberMember

If you had to use that hand here's something you could do. Put an antibiotic ointment on the cut cover it with a bandaid, then wrap electrical tape over the bandid completely covering it. It's an old trick from teaching water survival for 20 plus years.

5. fisshWell Known MemberMember

How about a latex glove?

6. SuperKWell Known MemberMember

Good idea, I don't have any on hand tho but I'll buy some for future use I suppose. You never know, sometimes I have cuts on my hands without realising it lol

7. fisshWell Known MemberMember

The main worry in aquariums are bacteria, Mycobacterium marinum is the most common. My doctor was worried about this when he learned I keep 48 tanks running.

8. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

I'm sorry, I'm reading your post, and can't for the life of me figure out why my eyes insist on reading that as 48 tanks...?

9. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

Besides using my hand/arm, but I also use long-handled tools for some things that don't need to be specifically grabbed. Maybe that might help your case?

10. fisshWell Known MemberMember

Because I'm crazy and have 48 tanks up and running all with fish in them. I also have 12-10 gallon tanks that are brand new I'm debating on setting up (that darn $1 per gallon sale)

You can buy aquarium gloves that fit you whole are That will work. I have some, but hate to use them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice