Cute New Dwarf Gouramies!

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by Vixjuliet, Apr 14, 2019.

1. VixjulietNew MemberMember

a week ago I put two new dwarf gouramies into my tank after 2 weeks in quarantine and they seem to have settled in really well. They are so cute! I love the way they swim sideways to get under the plants and around the ornaments etc. They are both females and one has like blue stripes and a blue dot on her tail whilst the other is a pale yellow colour. It just said dwarf gourami in the pet store, are there different kinds of dwarf gourami? if so what could mine be? I would post a pic, but sadly I'm not computer savvy!:happy:

2. Pisces37New MemberMember

Yes, there are different varieties of dwarf gouramis. Neon blue, powder blue, honey and flame. I myself, love the gouramis.

3. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Dwarfs are T.lalius (there is a natural colored type as wel) and honeys are T.chuna.

Females can indeed show different patterns but are less colorfull than males.

4. VixjulietNew MemberMember

when I first saw the gouramis I was drawn to the bright colouration of the males, but I wanted two of them and as you can't keep two males together and I didn't want any baby gouramis, I had to go with two females. At first I thought what a shame, but I am not disappointed at all, I think they are a lovely addition to my tank and I love watching them foraging around the substrate. Great little fish!

5. ArthurTheAquaristNew MemberMember

Although females are less colorful, If I had a choice, I would rather keep them over males because they're much more peaceful, they can be kept in groups, and depending on where you live, they're hard to find. They give you something to brag about to your friends ;)

6. VixjulietNew MemberMember

That's interesting there are only two places to buy fish in Harrogate and both have Gouramis. I love them, just hope they stay healthy. I keep reading conflicting information about them. One article will say they are hardy fish and another says they are prone to sickness. Anyway, so far so good.:)

7. aquanerd13Valued MemberMember

I will probably be getting some gouramis in the near future. They are awesome fish! I was wondering if it's true that DGs are more susceptible to disease. Also, is DG disease a huge concern?

8. ArthurTheAquaristNew MemberMember

Dwarf gourami iridovirus,(dwarf gourami disease) is a big concern when it comes to getting a dwarf gourami. The dwarf gourami, is now a very unhealthy fish with weak genetics, due to years of inbreeding. The powder blue ones, imo are the most sickly. When buying a dwarf gourami, always aim for locally bred, ones that are from a reputable source, or wild caught (almost impossible to find) but in general, steer clear of ones that have been imported from Singapore. The iridovirus is contagious to all dwarf gouramis, and there is no cure, so always be cautious when choosing one. Because of their weak Genes, dwarf gouramis are more susceptible to disease. They used to be really hardy fish several decades ago, and they were smaller, more peaceful, and less brightly colored, which I actually prefer. A nice alternative that I would reccomend, are honey gouramis, as they are smaller and more peaceful than dwarf gouramis. If your tank is over 29 gallons, I reccomend either a moonlight gourami, or a pearl gourami. I hope this helped.

9. aquanerd13Valued MemberMember

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Is it proven they have weak genes nowadays? Or is it all due to the virusinfection?

11. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Honey gouramis are a dwarf type, T.chuna
    Sunset honey and sunsethoney dwarfs are a hybrid but seen as a colortype of T.labiosa

12. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

different stores call them different things. honies could be called all of the above. always look for the scientific name on the tag (if available.) honies should have trichogaster/colisa chuna on the tag.

look very carefully at the body shape, honey gouramis are often confused with thicklip gouramis. thicklips should be bigger and have a slightly differently shaped head and body. dwarf (trichogaster lalia) gouramis look a whole lot different from honies, they have a bulkier and bigger shape with red-blue-gray colors.

13. VixjulietNew MemberMember

My DGMs seem to be doing very well so far. Had I known about iridovirus beforehand I probably would have steered clear of them. On the other hand they are so cute. I'm still treating my Neon tetras for a very stubborn fungal/bacterial infection (not entirely sure which it is) So if my Gouramis were to come down with something I'd be well upset! Fingers crossed it won't happen. I was told tropical fish were easy to keep! Not so sure about that, I may still end up with a good old Goldfish yet! Never had any problems keeping them.

14. ArthurTheAquaristNew MemberMember

From what I know, it is because of the inbreeding.