Cute little blue crayfish at petstore.

aliray

So I just got back from my local Pet Supermarket, and they had 2 crayfish, one was labeled a Mexican Glow crayfish, and the other was a blue crayfish about 2 to 3 inches long, just labeled crayfish for 15.95 He was adorable, Thank goodness I have a small pleco in each of my three tanks or he would have followed me home. All of his limbs were intact and he seemed quite lively and feisty, Would that be a baby blue lobster or a dwarf type crayfish? Cute black eyes. Good thing I don't have an empty tank. Alison

JNMDRP

If you ever do get one, screen the top of your tank if there are any openings. My fish tank partner and I have experience with these little guys.... One day, my partner walked into the fish room, and his little blue dwarf crayfish was walking across the floor... and it happened again and again until he screened the top of the tank. They are cute, but they are prone to going on adventures.

aliray

JNMDRP said:
If you ever do get one, screen the top of your tank if there are any openings. My fish tank partner and I have experience with these little guys.... One day, my partner walked into the fish room, and his little blue dwarf crayfish was walking across the floor... and it happened again and again until he screened the top of the tank. They are cute, but they are prone to going on adventures.
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your response. So they sound like the dwarf kinds? I know the ones I have seen at petco labeled blue lobsters seem to be a lot bigger, like 5 or6 inches, Alison

JNMDRP

For the most part they seem to be crayfish and dwarf crayfish. They will get pretty big if their environment allows for it. This is the most standard one sold in stores:

bizaliz3

Dwarf crayfish get no bigger than 1-2 inches full grown. So if it is 2-3 inches at the store, that is not a dwarf. I breed the dwarf blue crayfish and the biggest adult I have is just over an inch. They don't get much bigger than shrimp.

bizaliz3

aliray said:
So I just got back from my local Pet Supermarket, and they had 2 crayfish, one was labeled a Mexican Glow crayfish,
I have never heard of a Mexican glow crayfish. The only similar thing I am familiar with is the orange Mexican dwarf crayfish, The CPOs. (Cambarellus patzcuarensis) The CPOs are definitely dwarfs, but as I said, the blue one you were looking at was most certainly not a dwarf.

aliray

bizaliz3 said:
I have never heard of a Mexican glow crayfish. The only similar thing I am familiar with is the orange Mexican dwarf crayfish, The CPOs. (Cambarellus patzcuarensis) The CPOs are definitely dwarfs, but as I said, the blue one you were looking at was most certainly not a dwarf.
I have a feeling it wasn't a dwarf but it sure was cute and definitely blue the other one looked brownish in color. How are all your babies doing? Did the orange ones have babies? I haven't seen any of your posts lately about your growing babies. Alison

bizaliz3

aliray said:
I have a feeling it wasn't a dwarf but it sure was cute and definitely blue the other one looked brownish in color. How are all your babies doing? Did the orange ones have babies? I haven't seen any of your posts lately about your growing babies. Alison
Ya, the full sized blue crayfish are gorgeous. I had one briefly, but it escaped and I have never found it. :-(

The blue baby business is going great. Thanks for asking. I have been breeding the blue dwarfs for about 5-6 months now and have made a LOT of successful sales on craigslist. I am not ready to dive into shipping yet....so I am sticking with local sales. My blue dwarfs have been virtually flawless in their breeding. It has been a lot of fun. But the Orange ones continue to give me problems.

I know you were following my orange CPO baby threads. So you are aware that the first pregnancy was a fail. She molted while carrying the babies and there were no survivors. Her 2nd pregnancy resulted in just 7 babies (a litter of blue dwarfs easily exceeds 20) And then the mom died during her 3rd pregnancy. I kept one male and one female from that litter of 7. Finally a few months later, my juvie female got pregnant and had a HUGE bundle of eggs. They hatched and were born flawlessly and she had well over 20 of them. They were all roaming around and happy and healthy. After about a week, all the babies had disappeared. And I had the filter covered with a sponge. So I have no idea what happened. The babies are small enough that they could have just blended in with the food and other debris after they died. Or else mom ate them. There is no other explanation. But I have never had any of my blue dwarfs eat their young. In the mean time, the male CPO that I kept from that litter of babies died. And the dad that I started the journey with just recently died as well. So unless I get another male, there will be no more breeding of the CPOs for me.

I have had NONE of these issues with my blue dwarfs and I have had about 8 litters of babies between several different moms. And I haven't dealt with adults dying like I did with the orange ones either. So I don't know. maybe the CPOs are much more sensitive than the Blue dwarfs? Or maybe I got a bad pair of CPOs from the pet store???? The lone female that I have is big and beautiful and healthy. (although, so was her dad and brother right before they died!) If I get the chance, I will probably buy another male and try again. But I haven't seen any at the stores for a while.

aliray

Wow you have had problems with them. Are your blues getting more blue as they get more mature. I remember you getting another one with more blue in it. I had looked up some info trying to figure out what this one was and one site I went on said that the blues were a little more sensitive than the orange. Maybe it was the orange stock that was a little weaker. Isn't it time to update your cray pictures? Hint Hint. Alison

bizaliz3

aliray said:
Wow you have had problems with them. Are your blues getting more blue as they get more mature. I remember you getting another one with more blue in it. I had looked up some info trying to figure out what this one was and one site I went on said that the blues were a little more sensitive than the orange. Maybe it was the orange stock that was a little weaker. Isn't it time to update your cray pictures? Hint Hint. Alison
LOL I remember seeing something like that too (about the blues being more sensitive) I have seemed to have the total opposite issue!!! Hopefully I can find a new CPO male some day soon and try it again :)

Yes, My blues are getting more and more blue. Some of them just don't get as blue as the others. There are always a few babies that stay more brown, but most of them get nice and blue as they get older. Some with stripes, some more marled. Some light blue, some dark blue.....I am choosing to selectively breed the lightest colored blue ones. I think they are the prettiest. :) I would love for you to see them! I will go ahead and start a thread tonight when I get home with some fun updated pics of my blue parents and juvies and babies. :)

Top Bottom