Cut the top or remove the bottom and replant the top? Question 

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a few stems of Cabomba caroliniana "Green Cabomba" that I bought just a few weeks ago.

The top grows and grows and look very green. The bottom stem lost most of the leaves.
Will the bottom stems grow new leaves after the old ones rot away?

When the plants grow too high for my water level, should I just cut the top and throw them away, or cut and replant the top while throw away the bottom stems?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
some times if the plant stems are too close together the bottoms don't get enough light and will lose their leaves. If they are unsightly cut the tops, remove the bottoms and plant the tops. The bottoms won't regrow leaves on them.
Carol

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, thanks.

So when the plants grow too high (bottom still have good leaves), if I cut the top, will the bottom continue to grow higher?

Because I feel like once I get the fish, keep replanting so often is troublesome for both me and the fish lol.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes as the plant gets taller if you cut the tops off the bottom will continue to grow taller. This is a good way to get more plants I only suggested pulling up the bottoms if they didn't have leaves on them.
Carol

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't know if Cabomba acts in the same manner, but a couple bunch plants I've experienced, namely Anacharis, doesn't really "keep growing" when you cut it. The cut part blackens and dies, but the plant sends a new shoot or "branch" out and that continues growing.

Some older Anacharis plants I have have a "zigzag" pattern...there's the original stem, then a new branch that got cut, and another branch on that branch that got cut...and so on.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads