How Do I Cut Live Rock

travie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Use a hammer to break it into smaller pieces, but this way won't give you the precise shapes you want.

cerianthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How do i cut live rock lol[/QUOTE

Do you reaaly want to?? Brand new brill bit. drill at certain points where you think is weakest. once drill enough holes, it should snap all by itself provided that it is premium (very porous) LR!!!

soldieroffortune1974

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With a very sharp small pointed chisel or wedge and a hammer.Score the area (make a line dug into the rock) with the chisel you want to cut.Place the chisel point on the edge of live rock and smack the chisel head sharply with the hammer. You should get a crack or chip,(if not hit the chisel harder with the hammer)move the chisel farther up the line you made earlier.Smack the chisel again with the hammer,move the chisel and smack it again,following the edge of the line on the rock you want to cut.***repeat until the rock is cut the way you want****

EDIT****note***** 1 whack with the hammer is good,don't try to drive the chisel into the live rock,you only want to crack or chip it a little at a time,after you go around the line you made 1 time and it hasn't come apart,start over and retrace the same line with the hammer and chisel. Digging the chisel or wedge into the rock could make it shatter,If that's the goal,then everything is fine,if you want to shape the rock a certain way,strike and move the chisel,strike and move again.

soldieroffortune1974

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You just state the obvious but, don't do this inside your tank. heh
Well...........if you think you're good enough..........not adviseable though,definitely don't try that inside the aquarium.(somebody probably would have tried<----wouldn't be you would it, Oil_Fan?)

fishrule101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had to break my with a hammer. The drill wouldn't drill deep enough to make it crack on its own.

morganrules

Well Known Member
Reaction score
wow i didnt think anyone would respond i check and boom alot of people are responding

Oil_Fan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well...........if you think you're good enough..........not adviseable though,definitely don't try that inside the aquarium.(somebody probably would have tried<----wouldn't be you would it, Oil_Fan?)
lol...no, I busted mine up in a bucket. But yah, I'd bet someone, somewhere has tried inside their tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom