Help Custom Overflow Sizing And Options

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all,

I am looking for recommendations on custom overflows and also sizing recommendations for a 135 gallon tank.

I have been looking at the eclipse and eclipse L as they come with the holesaw and emergency overflow pipe already. Are these good options? Have you had good experiences with hole saws from kits? Do you trust the drill template, or did you use it to draw circles on the tank and bust out your drill guide?

Any help is appreciated!

Sean

PeteStevers

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After watching a ton of youtube videos and doing google research, I ended up ordering the eShopps Eclipse M (800 gph) for a 40 breeder and am planning on going with Jebao DCT 4000 return pump (1056 gph adjustable) in my 20L sump. I just finished making the sump and my next step is drilling the tank (scary but it was only $40). I've read\seen many people have success with the supplied hole saw however, for my drill I'll need to buy a chuck adapter so it will fit my drill. Planning on drilling this weekend and painting the back.

OP
SeanyBaggs123

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After watching a ton of youtube videos and doing google research, I ended up ordering the eShopps Eclipse M (800 gph) for a 40 breeder and am planning on going with Jebao DCT 4000 return pump (1056 gph adjustable) in my 20L sump. I just finished making the sump and my next step is drilling the tank (scary but it was only $40). I've read\seen many people have success with the supplied hole saw however, for my drill I'll need to buy a chuck adapter so it will fit my drill. Planning on drilling this weekend and painting the back.
Let me know how it goes please!!!!

PeteStevers

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually got around to this yesterday. I made sure to drill as high as possible so the inside overflow almost touches the rim that sticks out (where an aquarium cover would rest). You want that inside box as high as possible so your water level is as high as it can be. But, it obviously has to be underneath that rim). Basically, I just held the overflow in place making sure it would clear that lip in the end and marked the hole with a dry erase marker on the outside. Then I taped the template in place (the M version only needs one hole drilled). I also taped the underside of the hole to catch the glass disk. I used the provided hole saw (had to buy a chuck for my impact drill since the hole saw has a round shank and my drill requires a 1/4 hex bit). Drilled at a medium speed not pressing down much at all and kept the hole saw wet with a small squirt bottle. Took maybe 3 minutes to complete. No issues. Dry fitted the overflow and it sits maybe 1/8" or less below that rim that sticks out on a framed tank on the inside. Got my first coat of paint on as well.
So, using the supplied hole saw and template "worked". I don't believe the template applies to a framed tank however. You have to figure out where you want the hole(s) and then tape the template there so the saw doesn't skip around on you.
Hope this helps. If you have any questions or need clarification on anything, feel free to ask and I'll try to help. Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom