Resource icon

Curved Spine, Sunken Belly Disease – Esp. Livebearers

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike submitted a new resource:

Curved spine, sunken belly disease – esp. livebearers - Curved spine, sunken belly disease

Author: @aylad

A lot of people seem to be seeing a particular set of symptoms in their fish – most often livebearing fish like platies, mollies, and guppies. I’ve got a lot more experience with these symptoms than I’d like, so I thought I should type up what I know about it. Additionally, I hate having to tell people that euthanasia may be in order... so I'm saying it once, here.

In brief:

Symptoms:

The key symptom is curved spine – the...
Read more about this resource...

Denise doss

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had this show up in my Swordtails and Platys. Sometimes it can take weeks to finally kill them, all the while you're buying every known medication available to try and save them. A QT is almost a "must have" for even the most casual of hobiests these days.

nrfolden

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So i'm gonna just throw in my 2 cents i think this is mostly a stress related issue or at least in my case it is i keep sword tails and have had 2 females die to it. i have added more since but I've checked it's not worms but, i believe at least in my situation it's i had an improper ratio of males to females where the females would give birth usually prematurely and be hounded by the males and stress out, show the symptoms, and die i have yet to see it happen to a male. or any of the cory cats i keep in the same tank only the female live bearers are affected everything else is about as healthy as can be.

Denise doss

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So i'm gonna just throw in my 2 cents i think this is mostly a stress related issue or at least in my case it is i keep sword tails and have had 2 females die to it. i have added more since but I've checked it's not worms but, i believe at least in my situation it's i had an improper ratio of males to females where the females would give birth usually prematurely and be hounded by the males and stress out, show the symptoms, and die i have yet to see it happen to a male. or any of the cory cats i keep in the same tank only the female live bearers are affected everything else is about as healthy as can be.
We've had 2 male and 3 female swordtails, and 3 platy males and 3 females all die from this. Not all at the same time but over the course of a year. After the last death we drained the tank, boiled the larger lava rocks and plaster figurines, changed the gravel and plastic plants, changed out all the filtration elements and basically started from scratch. We figured anything porous may be holding whatever this may be. We're lucky in that I have a swordtail tank at work and have never had any issues there. My female is very fertile and I have lots of babies to repopulate with once it's cycled and stable.

nrfolden

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hard to say, i'll keep checking with my tank and see if i get it anymore the last one that was affected i euthanized as humanely as i could but i'll get back and help with information if i get it again.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom