Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 2 dalmation mollies

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 15 to 20 percent
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily
How much do you feed your fish? A few flakes or pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Northfin community pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Not currently: in quarantine

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Less than 24 hours
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Mainly her curved Spine and she is hiding at bottom of the tank. Eating and swimming, though her swimming is a little wobbly looking from the curved Spine.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No. Did have major swim bladder issue when I first got her. My toddler put a whole cube of freeze dried brine shrimp in the tank and this Molly ate herself into swim bladder/constipation issues.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Appearance is fine, except she is c shaped. She has been staying toward the bottom of the tank.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I am concerned if this could be tb.

She appears curved and is hiding. I don't know if this is more likely to be tb, or a side effect from her swim bladder/constipation issues. The fish has appeared thin up to this point, but I am very careful about feeding since she overate and had swim bladder and bad constipation issues. She seemed ok up until tonight. I am concerned about the potential risk to my toddler who is always by the tank if it is tb. There is so much conflicting information. Please help. Thank you!
IMG_20200401_205141_exported_0_1585788738324~2.jpg
MVIMG_20200401_210334~2.jpg
MVIMG_20200401_205036~2.jpg

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately it sounds like it could be fish TB. Some of the signs are there.. early emaciation, curved spine. I would isolate her as soon as possible.
While fish TB is a Zoonotic disease and humans can catch it from fish, I don’t think you have to much to worry about with your toddler. Not positive, but I think it more requires a bite or open wound or consumption to spread. Just don’t let them stick their hand in the tank and you’ve got nothing to worry about.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I doubt the problem is TB, more likely an intestinal bacterial infection or some type of a late manifesting genetic tic. Fish TB is rare.
I've been in the hobby more years than I care to admit & have associated with many other fishkeepers during that time. Never seen, heard of, or read any accounts of a fishkeeper contracting TB from a fish. "No worries".
There's really no cure for a fish's bent spine. IMO, best to remove the fish asap.

OP
brm816

brm816

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you!

New Threads