Curved Spine Genetics?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Zeeth29, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Z

Zeeth29 Valued Member Member

One of my females has developed a curve in her spine were the tail begins. Is this something that she could pass down to her fry? Sorry about the photo, the camera on my phone isn't the best. IMG_20170731_194040_103.jpg

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

If she was born with it then probably, yes. If she just developed it then her babies will be at higher risk but are not guaranteed to have it. I have mostly livebearers and to mitigate genetic defects I add in a few new fish every 2-4 generations.

3. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I've only seen inherited scoliosis in livebearers that were born with it. The adults that I've seen develop scoliosis did so because they were sick.

4. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

I would not risk it. Besides the issue of passing it down to her offspring (which is likely) there is also the moral debate about forcing her to bear young with a bent spine. It would be very uncomfortable for her and she will probably die before her fry are born. Then if somehow she manages to make it a while month with the fry, she won't be able to give birth through the usual methods, so you would probably have to cut her open to get the fry out.

Basically, I would never breed a fish with a bent spine ;)

5. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

She is probably already pregnant. Livebearers store sorry and can mate when pretty young.

6. goplecos

If she is with males then she is already pregnant. She might have even developed a bent spine because of the pregnancy. But if the OP ever finds a baby with a bent spine or any other deformity he should remove it before it has a chance to breed.

7. Supreme Sawk

Supreme Sawk Valued Member Member

I agree, if I ever see a deformed fry (I like to call them 'bentbacks') then I take it out immediately.

8. OP
    OP
    Z

Thanks for the response everyone. She was born with the defect and I have kept her away from any males just in case. Right now she's in with a bunch of juve females I'm growing out, so no risk of her breeding. Could this defect shorten her life span or lead to other problems?

9. goplecos

It will shorten her lifespan by about 1-2 years.

10. OP
    OP
    Z

Such a shame. She's the last female of my favorite line...aw well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice