Curved spine assumeing its TB Question

1. f

frogfan Well Known Member Member

A few weeks ago I got a dozen and half feeder guppies from a local LFS they had 5 fry all fish but 3 adults and 2 fry have died( well 1 adult and 1 fry actually went missing i never found a body but assume they died). Now 1 of the remaining fish has developed a curved spine and none of the fish are eatting well i will be euthinizing the lot of them tomorrow. I will be throwing out the bucket i use for them the baster and the substrate and sterilizing the tank and caves what should i do about the heater and filter? If its tb and lets just assume it is what are the chances of me catching it i bite my nails and have exima(sp?) So i frequently have blisters and sores on my hands . Also can my frogs get it they have their own tank, net, baster ect. But i cant always remember whos is whos. All the other fish died at a rate of 1-2 every other day but didnt show tb symptums but did have ich or some other fungus.
    I know tho euth it says to use vodka but tomorrows sunday and you cant buy liqur in TN on sunday can i use rubbing alchol?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

I would wear gloves from now on when dealing with the fish, tanks, and equipment. Since you have eczema that will cover up any open sores to protect yourself if it is TB.

I'm sorry I can't answer your other questions, but hopefully someone with more experience with this will come along shortly. endlercollector should be able to answer the TB questions when they see this.

3. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

If you do find it necessary to euthanize them, I would recommend getting some clove oil. It is a fish anesthetic that many aquarists overdose when they need to euthanize. It should be available in the drug store as it is a treatment for toothaches in humans.

Here is an article with information on the subject: http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-most-humane-way-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm

Also, are you able to upload a picture of your guppies so that some of the TB experienced members can confirm if it is likely TB or something else?

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Take a picture of the fish ;) That will help us know what's wrong with them.

It's unlikely that you will contract mycobacteria from your fish. While it is possible for the bacteria to be transmitted to humans, our immune systems generally prevent us from contracting these types of things. We're a bit better developed than fish. However, if you have open sores on your hands or arms, I would suggest wearing gloves while working on any tank, at any time.

Edit: Just saw the thing about your frogs. Do NOT cross contaminate fish equipment with frog equipment. They can and will transmit diseases to each other according to some frog experts I consulted as I research bumble bee toads that I plan to purchase this winter. Aquatic mycobacteria and other bacteria can be transmitted to frogs and they can become symptomatic, so if that is what's harming your fish, don't let it get your frogs too.

5. OP
    OP
    f

Thank you everyone should i use regular plastic like food or medical gloves or would the yellow cleaning gloves be better?
    I try not to mix the frog and fish stuff im pretty sure i havnt but cant ever be 100% sure. Ill try to get a pic when i turn the lights on but they can be tough with a bad camera and a practicly clear fish. You can actually see their spines threw their skin .
    Can i bleach and reuse my gravel vac or do i need to throw that out also?

6. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

So sorry that you have beem going through this. I've been dealing with mycobacteriosis for some years now and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

You can use any of the gloves you mention. Your health situation requires that you do extra good care of yourself. Be careful while trying to stay calm.

If you have a dishwasher that is good enough for sterilizing infant bottles, you can run it whatever equipment will withstand the temperatures. You do not need to throw out non-porous equipment. 70% rubbing alcohol will do the job. Spray everything well inside and out. It's ok to let it all drip dry.

You can live with mycobacteria (the theme of many of my blog posts) and need not go overboard--just do regular household cleaning with the awareness gained from this experience.

@ FiscCyning
    Thanks for the heads up!

7. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Regarding the siphon, they are cheap so I would just get a new one. If it does turn out to be mycobacteria, rubbing alcohol is the easiest way to kill it, but it's difficult to sanitize a siphon.

Try for a picture for us :)

8. OP
    OP
    f

I dont think i got any good pictures ill look threw them when i get home to see if any are clear enough to see

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

10. OP
    OP
    f

I never got a good picture of the fish and i euthinized them and forgot to get a picture after