Help Curved Platy?

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi Gang. While I was feeding the fish this morning, I couldn't help but notice my female platys body appears a bit curved. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and she's acting the same as always, but I can't help but feel a little concerned. Does anyone know what's causing that bend in her body?

P.S. I'll try to post a pic when I have the time.

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think so. If you look at her from the top her body resembles a 'C' shape.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My guppies and a molly has done that before, I found a dead guppy fry in a C-Shape just this morning actually.
Unfortunately all the fish I had that did this died shortly after the curve, but I hope you find out what is wrong...

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My guppies and a molly has done that before, I found a dead guppy fry in a C-Shape just this morning actually.
Unfortunately all the fish I had that did this died shortly after the curve, but I hope you find out what is wrong...
Tigerlilly ...I think you and I may be in trouble. I did some internet research and now I'm thinking my fish may have TB. It is a SERIOUS condition that can even effect humans according to the info I read. It is also highly contagious and can effect all tank mates.

I hate to say it but I think euthnansia may be in order. :'( I'm going to do it immediately so I might be able to save the other fish. None of the others are showing symptoms thank God.

P.S. Loss of appetite, very thin appearence and lesions are also signs of this disease. Hopes this helps:-\

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Killed her.

I tried that Vodka and Clove thing. She sunk to the bottom and seemed to be going to sleep ...but when I added the Vodka she woke right up again and began to swim around madly. She jumped out of the glass and landed on the floor! I couldn't put back into that poison again ...so I did away with her using a hammer. Awful, Awful, AWFUL Experience! I'll never try cloves and vodka again. I may never even euthanize a fish again. I can't stop crying ... I mean what if I made a mistake about the TB? But she had all the classic symptoms including the 'thin' look. But what a death! I feel awful! I feel like a murderer.

God, I hope I saved the other tank inhabitants. I couldn't go through that again. Awful!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TBH, my fish that were curved passed nothing onto any other fish, all my other tankmates are just fine.

When I have used the clove oil method (only twice thankfully, but a third time soon ), it has worked like a charm. Never go onto the vodka stage unless the fish is definitely asleep. I check by gently rocking the tub they are in and then using my net to gently prod them. If they swim, more clove oil mixture. Then when your vodka goes in, they never wake up again.

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TBH, my fish that were curved passed nothing onto any other fish, all my other tankmates are just fine.

When I have used the clove oil method (only twice thankfully, but a third time soon ), it has worked like a charm. Never go onto the vodka stage unless the fish is definitely asleep.
Thanks for your advice and encouraging words. I now see I added the vodka too soon. Now I'm hoping I was wrong about the TB diagnosis even though it means I killed my fish un-necessairly. At least that will mean my other inhabbitants are safe. Sorry I got your name wrong by the way. I was just watching Peter Pan with my daughter. I know your name is TigerFishy!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Killed her.

I tried that Vodka and Clove thing. She sunk to the bottom and seemed to be going to sleep ...but when I added the Vodka she woke right up again and began to swim around madly. She jumped out of the glass and landed on the floor! I couldn't put back into that poison again ...so I did away with her using a hammer. Awful, Awful, AWFUL Experience! I'll never try cloves and vodka again. I may never even euthanize a fish again. I can't stop crying ... I mean what if I made a mistake about the TB? But she had all the classic symptoms including the 'thin' look. But what a death! I feel awful! I feel like a murderer.

God, I hope I saved the other tank inhabitants. I couldn't go through that again. Awful!
For future reference, an ice bath (cup of ice water) does the trick in 3 seconds....I've never had a fish jump out of the cup that way.

I'm gonna be honest, I laughed a little when I read that. I know, I'm a terrible person. Really though, the hammer method is very humaine, though I think you will appreciate the ice bath method for it's speed, simplicity and easy clean up.

Deciding to care for pets means you are responsible for their lives, as well as their deaths in many cases. You did the right thing, reguardless if the fish had TB or not, because you acted in the best interest of your pet AS WELL AS your other pets. Sometimes actions must be taken to protect the greater good, because 1 fish can wipe out an entire tank. You may feel bad now, but you would feel much much worse if you did not take action and your whole tank got sick.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom