Cursed tank of sick fish???!!!

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by marina3, Mar 24, 2010.

1. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

Hi guys!!! This is my 1st tank ever!!! Is a 10gal that have been running since January 13 of this year. I started not knowing about fishlesscycling so cycling with fish has been very stressful and caused several death... By now I know, that we make mistakes (I am a NEWBIE!!!) but by now, the deaths in this tank are an enigma:;dk or is it cursed???? OR this especialty store is selling me SICK FISH!!! Currently I have 3 very active Neons and I HAD 3 Serpae Tetras (1 died last night) and a Glowlight Tetra (very active too). The problem seems to be the Serpaes, they are being very shy, they don't come up to eat so the Neons and Glowlight eat all the food and like I say, one already died.Examining the body, he had a yellow spot and his "tail" fin was gone. In this tank, when one fish died, within 2 days the ones of the SAME KIND follow!! The water levels are good. Ammonia is not exactly zero but not enough to reach .25 (I go by the color chart, zero=yellow, .25 is a lime green, my test is a yellow with a hint of green) PH is around 8 and Nitrates 10... Water changes are done weekly, 2 galons at the time conditioned with Prime. I have another tank with bettas and thank God, I have been able to keep it healthy with no problems. The fish that are dying were bot at a very clean, well take cared og small tropical fish store. The thriving Neons are from Petsmart. Any thoughts???? I really appreciate it!!!

Attached Files:

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry you're losing fish. That's always a sad thing.

What kind of test kit are you using? The strips or an API Master Kit?

Also, what is your nitrIte reading?

I've had serpaes and they're usually tough little buggers. Although there is a possibility that you've purchased sick fish. If it's been less than 21 days, the stores usually will take the fish back, providing you also bring them a sample of your tank water so they can test it to determine it's not your tank that caused the death.

You might want to bring a sample of water to be tested anyway. See if it matches up with the results you're getting at home.

3. OP
    OP
    m

Hi Linda! Thank you for your answer. I do use the API liquid but I don't have one that registers the Nitrites, just Ammonia, Nitrates and PH (I bot them separate) but I did take sample of the water to the store and they told me that "other people would love to have their water reading that I do". I did that after I lost 3 Bleeding Hearts purchased at that store and after a week, within 2 days all 3 died!!!! Now, this last time, i showed up with a Ziploc bag with 2 of the dead BH and a sample of the water, and after checking the water they felt sorry for me and GAVE me the 4 fish for free... Well. as of yesterday, 3 now, but I won't be surprised if more Serpaes are dead....:(

4. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

I'm in the exact same boat as you! I also have a 10 gallon, started with 7 fish, knew NOTHING about the nitrogen cycle (or anything else about fishkeeping for that matter) and now I'm down to 3 fish after three months :( I've been trying to complete a cycle since the beginning of February but I had to treat my tank for camallanus worms and I think it set me back some.

I hope you figure out what the problem is, best of luck to you!

5. LyndaB

More importantly, what did they say the readings for your tank were?

6. OP
    OP
    m

I am sorry... didn't ask them, I believe hem wen they told me that the levels wee good, becase I havebeen checking itwith my API liquid test and they are good, althoug I don't have the one for Nitrites. Asof today (Thursday) I still have the rrest of he fish: 2 Serpae Tetras, 1 Glowlight and 3 Neons. The Serpaes still very "nervous", not eating at all, and the Neons do not leave any leftovers!!! I a concerned....

7. OP
    OP
    m

Michelle,

Same to you...don't give up!! We will get there...although I hate losing my fish...It really saddens me...What kind of fish do you have?

8. Tana

Tana Valued Member Member

I'm sorry to hear about losing your fish and the problems you've been having. I noticed in your first post that when you tested for ammonia, it has a hint of green. That does indicate you have ammonia and you should be doing small daily water changes, not weekly, until it registers 0. Prime only detoxes ammonia for 24 hours and after that the fish are at risk again from possible ammonia poisoning.

I do recommend that you do a water change of at least 20% daily until you get your ammonia at 0, dosing with Prime each time and not to add any more fish until after your cycle is complete.

9. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you Tana. I will test again and do accordingly!!! What do you think about the 2 Serpaes not eating??? Should I be concerned? I keep trying to get food to them, but the Neons and Glowlight will not allow it!!!

10. Tana

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Serpaes and their behavior, so I really can't be of much help other than saying you can try using a turkey baster to shoot food in their vicinity to see if they will nibble on it while the neons and glowlight feeds on the other side of the tank. They may still be trying to adjust to their new surroundings too as well as establishing pecking order with their tank mates. Hopefully that's the case and not because their sickly.

11. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

I have 2 guppies and an angelfish left.

12. LyndaB

My serpaes were always a little quieter and more shy than the other tetras. But still, they would at least eat. They are definitely more comfortable when there are at least 6 of them. Perhaps they just don't feel "complete" with just the two. They're basically out of their expected environment, if you will.

13. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks Lynda...There were 3 but one died a few days ago...You may be correct, the Neons are only 3 and the Glowlight is pretty much part of the Neon "gang" so they seem content, although I know that they do better in groups of 6...My tank is a 10 gal. so I don't want to overstock...Currently I have 6 fish total...do you think I can add 2 more Serpaes??? I say 2 because when the other Serpae was alive, didn't make much of a difference in their behaviour... Is amazing how quick the Glowlight adjusted being only 1 of his kind, I guess because he was so little...you could hardly see it! In a week time he has grown to the size of the Neons...maybe he thinks he is one of them.

14. OP
    OP
    m

Tana, I did a 2 gal water change last night and one of the Serpae came to the front of the tank and kept swimming up and down over and over again...the other Serpae stayed by the heater swimming "in place" like I call it...When was time to eat, they didn't come to it, and when I try to "shoot it" their way, they would swim in the opposite direction!! I will try the turkey baster...but those Neons and the Glowlight are so quick, they devour the food!!! In a funny note, I try to fed the Serpaes pellets, because they tend to sink...you should have seen those Neons...diving to the bottom of the tank and catching the pellets that are too big for their mouth!!! They will hold the pellet in their mouth while swimming and keep taking little "bites" until they will eat it all!!! FUNNY!!!

15. LyndaB

Don't add more fish until your tank is fully cycled. You'll only add to the problems you're having.

Keep in mind that 10 gallons is a really small tank. My serpaes were at least 1 1/2 inches. If you have 3 serpaes, that's almost half of your tank's capacity, if you go by the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule.

You said earlier you were down to 3 fish. But you just stated now that you have 6. Did you buy more fish for this tank?

16. Tana

Cute story marina. I feed flake, but my neons and glowlights both will try that with the shrimp pellets I drop in for my cory's. They are wicked fast during feeding time. How are your Serpaes doing and your cycle?

17. OP
    OP
    m

Lynda,
    I HAD 3 Serpaes...2 ended up dying and I saw that the last one was going the same way, so I took him out of the tank and took him back to the store...So sad...I have never evr returned a pet before!!
    :(

18. OP
    OP
    m

Tana, yes!!! those guys are crazy little eating machines!!! My Serpaes didn't make it...well, one did but I ended up returning it to the store...I couldn't bare see another dead fish in the tank!!!:(

19. Tana

I totally understand not wanting another dead fish. I lost one of my bigger pond comets last week. He by-passed the leaf net and brushes of my skimmer and I found him next to the pump intake. It was a horrible way for him to die. :(

Maybe once your cycle completes again you can add a few more glowlights or neons since they seem to be doing great. They have a light bio-load, so you should be ok.

20. OP
    OP
    m

Awwhhh...So sorry Tana!!! :;group I am telling you...this thing of dealing with so much loss/ death is terrible!!! As an animal lover, I am not used to...I always had doggies, cats, and if they get sick is much easier to treat because usually you have the vet to help...but with fish!!! There are so many opinions...you don't know what to do!!! Thank God for fishlore!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice