Curse these currents

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just set up my 10 gallon tank for Inari i decided to go with Bio spira from a local pet store it was about half the price and it worked wonderfully!!!! Now I have two issues:

1) The more Important is the current, I have it on what the manufacturer says is the lowest but Inari is having difficulty getting around the current he has to fight to get to one side of it. Now I know someone made a post at one point of how to reduce this but I can't seem to find the blasted thing if someone could link to it i would appreciate it.

2) Not so bad I don't think is the water is kinda foggy from the substate that I used I rinsed this stuff about 30 times and the water came out clear but it still muks up the water how can I clear it up or do i just have to take the water out and refill it to change that??

On a positive note, the tank as a pH of about 7.5 ish give or take .1 (I know it's very inaccurate by my standards ) there are literally no Nitrates, Nitrites, or Ammonia in the water I'm so happy tho I'm going to be testing it atleast once every other day until i get a solid reading and then I can get him some company after a while

Inari

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
There you go! (hope the link works....)
This technique works really well...... and it is so simple, it will make you go "DOH!!!" and slap your forhead. ( I did, anyway.... )

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The link works and so does the technique. It is great in fact! Ebbandflow did us all a great favor by bringing that to our attention. Now for the other problems.

NO do not change out your water or you will lose the Bio-Spira before it has a chance to build up on your gravel and decorations and in your filter. Besides the Bio-Spira will make your water cloudy for a day or so until it settles. So it may be the Bio-Spira instead of the gravel. Give it time and the filter may take care of the problem unless the problem is actual dirt. If you remove all your water though you will need to retreat the tank with Bio-Spira as it has not had time to work in the filter yet.

My tank was cloudy for about 48 hours after I added the Bio-Spira so it is probably the bacteria swimming about trying to decide where to land and settle in. Give it a couple days and then let us know how things are going.

Also did the LFS tell you that the Bio-Spira you bought had been refrigerated constantly? If it wasn't you may have gotten a bad batch. It needs to be refrigerated constantly (not frozen) or the bacteria dies. Sometimes they will sell it and tell you it doesn't need it but it does.

Good luck and I do hope that Inari does love his new home. When my little guys went into their bigger homes they just hung there for a while because they couldn't believe all that room was really theirs. It will be interesting for you to watch him getting used to playing in the next few days.
Have fun!!

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
alright well it looks like i was concerned over nothing because all seems to well now the it is still a bit mirky but it has cleared up significantly so i'm not as worried now and I do know that Inari is loving it i'm so happy he enjoys his 10 gallon it was rather funny tho to watch him try to fight the current when i had the filter going lol

thanx alll

Inari

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He's just not used to having water movement to deal with. Give him a chance to get his "sea legs" and some swimming muscles, he is out of shape. He will be fine, although if you want to put the flow shield on the filter I am sure he would like that too. I think you will get a lot of entertainment out of watching him in his new tank.

You obviously care a great deal about him to spend a lot of money on him, now enjoy him and get to know him and play with him. He will really be ready to get to know you now that he can get up there and see you and what you are doing. They love to be "nosy neighbors".

Have fun. Tell Inari hello. We would love a picture when you find the time.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He is a bit camera shy so its a pain to try and take a pic of him i tried yesterday and got about 75 shots of plants and tail of Inari I will post one eventually when i get it lol

and the whole money thing boy do i know how much i spent holy cow i knew he was expensive but dang didn't expect that much lol

and currents mess with ur plant arrangment it took me about two hrs to set all of them up

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do know the feeling!! Pictures are hard in Betta country unless you get some little hams. I have mostly hams, but the little ladies are not interested in sitting still unless there is FOOD involved. I am not in favor of doing it forever but some owners do use a small mirror for a few (less than 5) minutes to make them flare to get a good picture. I would not do this but one time to get a nice picture and then make sure it is done quickly as they can overstress.

I know it seems like a lot of work right now but it will all be worth it in the end and you will have an aquarium that you are proud and happy with. Be patient and realize that all that money is worth spending some time getting everything the way you want it. I am sure it will be very nice.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah i know after all the time the little snot bit me for no reason or refused to eat or spun himself upside down in the filter (which of the record i'm still trying to figure that one out) and scared the **** out of me 'cause i thought he was dead....i love the little snot to death i could never do anything to hurt him and yeah it is worth it in my opion

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
they really get us right where they want us, now don't they?? I have had mine much longer and I will warn you, it just gets worse with the length of time you own them. They get their little fins in your heart and get them all knotted up in there and don't ever let go. I have been concerned and sometimes even exasperated with my little ones but I love each one of them and it nearly destroys me to lose any of them.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yeah i know how that goes when i lost Tenshi it ripped me appart it hurt so bad .... anyway good luck with ur little ones maybe they are all family somehow u know personality sometimes runs in the family lol
lol

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
they really get us right where they want us, now don't they??  I have had mine much longer and I will warn you, it just gets worse with the length of time you own them.  They get their little fins in your heart and get them all knotted up in there and don't ever let go.  I have been concerned and sometimes even exasperated with my little ones but I love each one of them and it nearly destroys me to lose any of them.

Rose
Amen!!

S.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Inari's water has cleared up significantly i'm still keeping an eye on the Ammonia as long as it doesn't start to push 1 ppm he should be fine, right now it is at like .50 ppm not great but not bad either

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you tried putting up a shield? I did that for Rusty's tank and he likes it. It doesn't eliminate current altogether, just sort of makes it milder, a gentle flow as opposed to an actual undertow. I had the same problem with my filter.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i found the link on how to reduce it pretty easy set up occasionally i will remove the sheild if i need to work on one side of the tank it keeps him from trying to get in the way lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom