Currently Cycling 20G Long Tank

Keithrils

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Let me know what you guys think of my 20G long tank setup. It will be housing a Bolivian Ram and a school of 10 Ember Tetras.

77.jpg

78.jpg

OP
Keithrils

Keithrils

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
herefishyfishyfishy said:
Looking good. How deep is the gravel in the deepest parts?
I'd say the deepest is approximately 3 inches considering the black border of the tank actually hides .5 inches of open space underneath the bottom glass.

cwb141

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That looks awesome. Is that algae/moss on the rock, or just paint? Let me know how the fish do, I plan on trying to breed some rams in a 20 gallon long.

OP
Keithrils

Keithrils

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks everyone. It's nice to get compliments from other aquarium lovers.

The algae on the rock is real, not paint. It's a rock I crossed from my other aquarium. I have a few more rocks with more algae that I will be crossing over in the next few days, building up the left side to make it more intricate.

The cycle should be complete in another ~2 days. I can't wait. I can't wait to see how my school of Ember Tetras react.

I'm also currently live-planting it. I've laced the fake plants I have in those pictures with Java Moss, hoping that it will grow around them and look like small flowing stacks of moss.

I then might try and start bedding the aquarium with HC. Any thoughts or suggestions?

OP
Keithrils

Keithrils

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update

So, I rearranged the tank a bit and added fish a few days ago!

223.jpg

225.jpg

RayRay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tank looks awesome and those rocks are super neat.

OP
Keithrils

Keithrils

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kopeth said:
Does lace rock leech any chemicals or alter PH in your tank. I have a 20G long I want to use that in.

Thanks!
Lace rock is inert, so no. I've almost always used Lace Rock, so I'm not sure if it raises pH or not. My pH seems to always be steady with what Chicago water is though.

But, from my experience it comes very dirty and dusty, so giving it a nice scrub down is a good idea!

Kopeth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Keithrils said:
Lace rock is inert, so no. I've almost always used Lace Rock, so I'm not sure if it raises pH or not. My pH seems to always be steady with what Chicago water is though.

But, from my experience it comes very dirty and dusty, so giving it a nice scrub down is a good idea!
One more question and I'll stop bothering you

Did you have to assemble pieces together to make those shapes? If so did you use some sort of adhesive or just stack them?

Thanks!

OP
Keithrils

Keithrils

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kopeth said:
One more question and I'll stop bothering you

Did you have to assemble pieces together to make those shapes? If so did you use some sort of adhesive or just stack them?

Thanks!
I did assemble the pieces together, but I just stacked them. They are pretty rough and gritty, which makes stacking them really easy. But, that's also why my substrate is up to three inches deep in some areas - to hold pieces right. The great thing about lace rock is that it comes in so many different shapes and sizes that you can make anything you want, really. And, a lot of pieces come with different holes and caves already.

edit: Eventually, I will post pictures of my 10 gallon with lace rock.

Loki.x

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Very nice! The lace rock is beautiful!

(My bad - Didn't realize this thread is a month old. :/)

New Threads