Current USA Cardiff Aquarium reef build

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by harpua2002, Apr 19, 2010.

1. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Hubby and I found an amazing sale price on the Current USA Cardiff Aquarium. It was too good to pass up, so we had to bring it home! We have had nothing but trouble with the hang on overflow on my 29 gallon, so we decided to tear that one down, as well as the 30 gallon cube, and combine them into the Cardiff. Here is a link to my 29 gallon thread in case anyone wants all the background info. :)
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/members-fish-tanks/61183-rehabbing-reef-photo-journal.html

The 29 gallon will be sold, and the 30 gallon will move into the fishroom to become a FW tank.

Here is the first pic of the Cardiff. The tank fits inside the stand when it's all packaged up. You can see the filtration unit that it built into the tank behind a false back. There is even a skimmer and a small gravity-fed top off unit inside!
    630.jpg

This is the tank and stand right after bringing it into the house. This is not the permanent location, but I first had to tear down the 30 cube to get the Cardiff in place.
    631.jpg

The sand has been moved over and I've started to fill with live rock and water.
    632.jpg

And this is shortly after setup. Rock and water are in, and I have placed most of the corals. Water is still a little cloudy. As you can see, we did not buy the available MH pendant light for the tank. We already had this Sunpod 150W MH so there really wasn't any point.
    633.jpg

Left side
    634.jpg

Right side
    635.jpg

First thing the nekkie clown did when he got in here was to go find his "nem"! :p
    636.jpg

We are so excited to get this moved over and be done with the hang on overflow for good. We're loving the look of this tank so far! What do you guys think? :)

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Harpua, your live rock is beautiful!
    This is a cool shape for a tank - I haven't seen it before.

3. Beth1965Well Known MemberMember

Beautiful tank and inhabitants.
    Beth

4. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

that looks amazing!!!!
    love the shape
    and I adore the nekkie clown LOL ...never seen one before!!

5. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

That looks great. Definitely a good decision. :;perfect

6. peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Looks amazingly beautiful! :;perfect Well done! I can't believe you did it quite fast too :) I adore the nekkie clown too, super cute! Awesome photos too. Thanks for sharing!

7. ColumbianShark3Valued MemberMember

Wow that looks great :;perfect

8. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Thanks everyone! The naked (nekkie, nekkid, lol) clown is just a selectively bred variant of the regular ocellaris clown fish (the ones that look like Nemo). If I can freaking catch the misbar percula out of the 50 gallon reef, that one will be joining the naked guy. We moved the black saddle clown out of the 30 cube into the 50 yesterday- that's a species that gets a lot bigger than a perc or ocellaris so the 30 cube wasn't a great choice for him to begin with, lol. We are worried about aggression as the saddle gets bigger so we'd really like to get that perc outta there if possible... hopefully without a tank teardown! :p

9. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Looks awesome and very pretty. Nice job

10. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Looks fabulous!!!

That's so sweet-the clown and his nem.

11. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

that is so neat. I have never heard of that type of tank. The rocks and fish are beautiful. congrats.

12. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

We caught the other clown last night! Now the misbar and naked clown are in the Cardiff together. This tank is fully stocked with the 2 clowns, purple firefish, and yellow watchman goby so we won't be adding any more fish.

Here are some pics from tonight.The tank has mostly cleared up and is looking better.
    662.jpg

663.jpg

664.jpg

13. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Wowsers, I LOVE that tank! I love how you stack that live rock. You're giving me aquascaping ideas for my salty tank:)

14. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

I cant believe how nice that turned out. Im in all. Hopefully in a few years when I get more practice with freshwater, I can give a salt water tank a try. Harpua you and your husband have done an amazing job with that tank.

15. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Thanks, I appreciate that. It literally took me most of the afternoon just to stack and re-stack the live rock until I was satisfied. It's a much different kind of aquascape than what I'm used to doing, a lot more vertical I guess. :)

wing, reef tanks really aren't that difficult as long as you research enough to prepare yourself. Most failures in SW tanks come from impatience and lack of research IMO. Once you get used to the differences in maintaining SW tanks, it's really not a big deal (and sooo much fun)!

16. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

I guess the biggest thing is the upfront cost with a reef tank.

17. nerite0479Valued MemberMember

That aquarium is beautiful!Great job:clapping:

18. lorabellWell Known MemberMember

What a cool tank!!!!!! I love the clowns...and it just looks beautiful!!!!!! Great job!!!!!!!...hopefully someday Ill be there!!!!!!

19. carlos413Valued MemberMember

Looking good!!!!

20. ccb04Well Known MemberMember

The Cardiff systems are very nice ... love the bullet shape. Great job, harpua.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice