Current Stock: Full Or Can I Add?

lhopkin9

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Backstory: I have a 36 gallon bow front that has been established for just over a year. The only things I’ve lost have been 2 male dwarf Gouramis which from my reading sounds like they may have had dwarf Gourami disease. After the passing of the second dwarf gourami the opaline gourami was added which is the most recent addition. Also, the white clouds were an emergency addition from another tank that sprung a leak, but now they school with the neons and seem really happy even though the water is a little warm for them.

Current stock:
1 female opaline gourami
1 male swordtail
3 zebra danios
5 neon tetras
3 white cloud minnows
3 false julii Cory cats
1 clown pleco

I would like to add 3 panda cories and 1-2 more male swordtails or male platys. Would you consider that a full tank, or if you think there is anything that would make a good addition to this group? Thanks.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, Go for it. Be sure to up your WC's to 50% each week and be careful not to overfeed. Post pics of the new additions.

M-Stokes

Valued Member
Reaction score
2 male swordtails will fight. Cories should be in a school of 6 of a single type so you should get more false julii. You're probably better off upping the school's of danio and neons instead of another swordtail.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2 male swordtails will fight. Cories should be in a school of 6 of a single type so you should get more false julii. You're probably better off upping the school's of danio and neons instead of another swordtail.
Agreed. All shoaling species should be in groups of at least 5-6.
Also why do you want to stock to full capacity and create higher risk and more work.... (not to mention less room for the fish).

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Backstory: I have a 36 gallon bow front that has been established for just over a year. The only things I’ve lost have been 2 male dwarf Gouramis which from my reading sounds like they may have had dwarf Gourami disease. After the passing of the second dwarf gourami the opaline gourami was added which is the most recent addition. Also, the white clouds were an emergency addition from another tank that sprung a leak, but now they school with the neons and seem really happy even though the water is a little warm for them.

Current stock:
1 female opaline gourami
1 male swordtail
3 zebra danios
5 neon tetras
3 white cloud minnows
3 false julii Cory cats
1 clown pleco

I would like to add 3 panda cories and 1-2 more male swordtails or male platys. Would you consider that a full tank, or if you think there is anything that would make a good addition to this group? Thanks.
If you are planning on replacing the tank with the leak, depending on size i'd move the Minnows and Danios to that and up the schools to at least 6 if say it was a 20 long then add 4/6 Panda's to that as they like cooler water.

Then up the schools of Neons to 8/10 and the Juli's to 7/8 for the 36.

If not i'd still up the schools you have but only to 6.

You should be careful with Opalines they can be aggressive, mine won't tolerate livebearers, he wasn't always like that but as he matured he got aggressive, females can be just as bad. Also sucks your tank sprang a leak.

lhopkin9

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for the input everyone. I think based of your suggestions I’ll go ahead and up the neon tetra school the next time I find them in stock locally and plan on adding more false Julii cories instead of the pandas.

The cold water tank idea has me thinking. We’ll see what the future holds.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom