Current 37g Tank Update: Moss! =)

Nickguy5467

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I added java moss to my tank today. i am to believe it should eventually just grow all over the driftwood correct? still looks nice witch small patches around it me thinks.
At least that's what i hope will happen. i added a little Thrive, but does it really need any? IMG_20190318_155629.jpg i also added 2 albino cory cats , so that's nice =)

edit: i was thinking of moving that decor rock on the right to under the driftwood, and adding another rock in its place

Last edited:

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks like a praying mantis busting out his kung-fu moves. Me likey!

I have some taxiphyllum spiky on a piece of bogwood, it has taken over the wood and has begun to grow all over my java fern. It's uncontainable. I haven't got too much experience with moss, but with what I have I would think it would grow out nicely on it.

Nickguy5467

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

I have some taxiphyllum spiky on a piece of bogwood, it has taken over the wood and has begun to grow all over my java fern. It's uncontainable. I haven't got too much experience with moss, but with what I have I would think it would grow out nicely on it.
yes =) i nocitced it looked like that too lol. and thanks. i hope it works out that way

Nickguy5467

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

id like my kung fu drift wood to grow up into a kung fu tree

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
id like my kung fu drift wood to grow up into a kung fu tree
With you as his sensei what could go wrong?!

Just look at it, after years of training and growth it has mastered a pose only a kung-fu tree could accomplish. Give it the right training and it will be a pro.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally wouldn't dose ferts. Theres virtually no plant mass in the tank to make it worthwhile, which the only thing its likely to do is just grow algae.

The moss will get most of the nutrients from the fish waste and through waterchanges.

Nickguy5467

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
is it okay that some of the moss stems are loose? like wacky waving inflatable toob men? or do does all of it have to be pressing the wood? i only did one loop for each section

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
is it okay that some of the moss stems are loose? like wacky waving inflatable toob men? or do does all of it have to be pressing the wood? i only did one loop for each section
As long as it's staying put I'd assume it's fine. Mine was quite tight against my wood and it didn't look very good. Once I put less string onto it it stuck out more and looked nice. It has ever since. The moss on my java fern took root there on its own. Without string or anything. So long as it's there with enough time to grow in it should work out. It may take a while to get started though. My wood was entirely covered in little toob men from the start. The fern toobers grew in quick enough once they took root though.

It seems your tank keeps getting more amazing though. Not only do you have a kung-fu busting mantis, but you have a kung-fu busting mantis covered in an army of (hopefully) ever multiplying toob men!

Nickguy5467

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As long as it's staying put I'd assume it's fine. Mine was quite tight against my wood and it didn't look very good. Once I put less string onto it it stuck out more and looked nice. It has ever since. The moss on my java fern took root there on its own. Without string or anything. So long as it's there with enough time to grow in it should work out. It may take a while to get started though. My wood was entirely covered in little toob men from the start. The fern toobers grew in quick enough once they took root though.

It seems your tank keeps getting more amazing though. Not only do you have a kung-fu busting mantis, but you have a kung-fu busting mantis covered in an army of (hopefully) ever multiplying toob men!
IMG_20190319_172415.jpg aparrantly i didnt tie the ttop very well some of the stems floated off . i cought enough and put them back in their watter cup tthing they came in. ill need to do a better job at tying. it was my first time trying. it was kind of hard.

attack stance ^_^

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Those fish better watch out. He's armed and ready! Hopefully it sticks this time.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Whatever moss doesn't hold well you can always pull it off your filter intake and resecure it. I feel its a never ending battle . But does look very nice once it establishes itself to driftwood or a decoration

Nickguy5467

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i took all the moss i could from the tiny cup. how long does is take to start growing out usually?. feels like the watched pot never boils scenario IMG_20190319_172415.jpg

or is buying more and covering everything the only way?

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom