Curled Fins

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve had my crown tail betta for a couple of months and his rays are very curled. Hes been that way since I bought him and my water is fine and everything. I thought maybe it was because he was in such a tiny cup at the fish store. Will he grow out of it? Is it something I should worry about?
IMG_1209.jpg
IMG_1215.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wouldn't worry about it, I had a halfmoon whose ventral fins were always curled.

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
Just to double check that it's not a water quality issue, can you give us more information?

Tank size and tank mates?

Water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates
Hes with a couple Cory cats and some shrimp. I only added them to the tank recently. Hes very passive and is great. Its 5 gallons. And it’s at about 76. I have to get the parameters checked.

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
sierrah766 said:
Hes with a couple Cory cats and some shrimp. I only added them to the tank recently. Hes very passive and is great. Its 5 gallons. And it’s at about 76. I have to get the parameters checked.
Curled fins is normal in these fish, especially in hard water. Nothing to worry about unless it starts affecting their swimming ability.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sierrah766 said:
The tank is too small for the cories, and there's a different species of fish in the background of the tank. A 5 gal is too small for a betta with other fish, so I'd rehome them or move them to a different tank.

Let us know when you get the parameters checked!

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
The tank is too small for the cories, and there's a different species of fish in the background of the tank. A 5 gal is too small for a betta with other fish, so I'd rehome them or move them to a different tank.

Let us know when you get the parameters checked!
I’ve moved the danios out they were there temporarily, I’ll move the Cory’s into my 10 gallon.

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
As you can probably tell I’m not very experienced, I’ve only gotten on this forum recently and everything I know is from the not so wise people from the pet store. Thank you for the help

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We can help you stock appropriately, if you're interested Cories should be in a bigger tank than a 10 gal too. Can you get a 20 gal long (or bigger)?

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
We can help you stock appropriately, if you're interested Cories should be in a bigger tank than a 10 gal too. Can you get a 20 gal long (or bigger)?
Unfortunately not Until July I’m in a condo and they don’t allow large tanks, once July comes around and I’m in my new place I’m gonna get a nice big tank! I wanted to just start small

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
I would rehome the inappropriate fish then, and stock the bigger tank when you get it
Alright thank you, the pet store will take them back so I’ll return them ASAP. Unfortunately they are uneducated and didn’t help me at all thank you so much I just want my fish to be happy

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We'd be happy to help you stock your tanks, and you know we are looking out for the fish

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom