Curled Betta Fins?

Edna

What is happening here? This male betta had curled lower fins (the ones like, under their chin, not gills, not pectorals) when I got him a couple weeks ago. It hasn't gone away and I just am not sure what's happening/happened.
IMG_20190423_111310.jpg
IMG_20190423_111308.jpg

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known
He will likely be fine, my moms black orchid betta who looks sorta similar to yours also had lightly curled fins, not as much as yours, but enough that my mom calls them his little "paws"
If they start to flare up they will usually strighten them out, and as he grows more he may curl them more or less.
I'm pretty sure it's just a result of the way they are bred, and it hasn't seemed to really have any affect on the quality of life

There are some people who participate in fin trimming, you could technically trI'm the worst of the curl, and it may grow back atraight instead, but it also might not, and it's kind of useless since this is just a visual "issue"

Repolie

Well Known
Many other bettas have curled fins. There are many possible causes for fin curling for bettas as we don't exactly know what causes it. Once the rays are bent, they most likely won't be able to go back straight.

It's harmless and is just going to be a cosmetic issue. Just continue to keep his water clean. Some people say that keeping him near sunlight will fix it because of a vitamin deficiency.

New Threads