Curled and also have sunken place.

darkcat

IMG_20210416_200657294.jpg
Hi, so today I got 1 julii to upgrade the school. I put it in the quarantine tank. He seems to have a sunken place next to the gills.00He's also curled up. Is it because he's lonely in there? Do you think I should put him into the tank so that he won't become stress of 0? Or should I quarantine, making him alone. He does have barbells. He also swims really fast which makes me worry, and also, he breathes fast. It's really hard to take the Pic of the sunken part.
Heres the Pic for the sunken part.
IMG_20210416_211935058.jpg

Dechi

He must be really stressed in an empty tank with no substrate and no places to hide. Can you provide him more comfort ?

darkcat

Okay. Would plants do? I can give him some gravel.
What should I do for the sunken part?

Broggy

for a quarantine tank you need an airstone, because meds change the viscosity the water and sometimes create an oxygen shortage. I can't see one, you might have one already. are the water parameters ok?

darkcat

So I added the SafeStart for bacteria. Only that. Also, I didn't add any med. He's just in a Seperate tank to see if he have any parasites or diseases. So I thought not about putting an air stone because the air stone I have is really strong. Should I use it?
Also, is it fine if he's alone for 2 weeks?

Broggy

darkcat said:
So I added the SafeStart for bacteria. Only that. Also, I didn't add any med. He's just in a Seperate tank to see if he have any parasites or diseases. So I thought not about putting an air stone because the air stone I have is really strong. Should I use it?
Also, is it fine if he's alone for 2 weeks?
its fine if he is in there for 2 weeks. you don't need to put the air stone tine in fully, you can put it 1/3 under the surface just to get some surface agitation.

I don't see a point of quarantining with no meds, usually some "external" meds for funguses and ick along with something for internal parasitic stuff. just be sure to research meds that are safe for corys because ive made that mistake in the past.

darkcat

Yup I know! Cories don't have scales so they are super sensitive. Don't a lot of people quarantine fishes before putting them in the main tank? I thought I needed to. Well thanks anyway

mattgirl

darkcat said:
Yup I know! Cories don't have scales so they are super sensitive. Don't a lot of people quarantine fishes before putting them in the main tank? I thought I needed to. Well thanks anyway
I agree. Don't add meds unless they are needed. Quarantine time in a lot of cases should be called observation time. As long as we don't see any issues there is no need to medicate. You do need to give this little guy some cover though. Having no safe place to go to can cause stress and stress can cause illness. Plants would be great. Sand would be better than gravel.

Make his temp home more comfortable and feed him. If you have them give him shrimp pellets or another bottom feeder food. In case you aren't already aware of it, corys aren't veggie eaters so algae wafers aren't the right food for them. They need more protein in their food. His stomach may be sunken if he's not been fed well.

darkcat

I have hikari sinking wafers. Okay. I'll use sand, moss ball and some other plants. Thank you! He'll be in there for about 5 days but is that fine? Should it be more than 2 weeks?
This is the sunken part. It's not the belly. It's near the gills.
Polish_20210417_102151587.jpg

mattgirl

darkcat said:
I have hikari sinking wafers. Okay. I'll use sand, moss ball and some other plants. Thank you! He'll be in there for about 5 days but is that fine? Should it be more than 2 weeks?
This is the sunken part. It's not the belly. It's near the gills.
Polish_20210417_102151587.jpg

As long as he has a comfortable home keep him in there for a couple of weeks. I don't know about the sunken in area. All I can suggest is you feed him well and keep an eye on him. If you have the Hikari sinking wafers for bottom feeders you should be fine. I feed them along with shrimp pellets and occasionally blood worms to all of mine.

darkcat

Okay thank you! I'll add the plants, moss, and the sand. I'll feed him and keep an eye on him. I'll do that for a couple of weeks. Got it!
I think that he's curled up because of the strong filter flow. I have a tetra internal filter but any way to reduce the flow?

DoubleDutch

Not want to be rude but why buying only one fish when / if you know it needs to be quarantined.

It is a C.trilineatus btw When it is fed you need some filtrage as well.

darkcat

Okay. I wanted to upgrade my school of cories but only one can fit in. If I add more, it's going to be overstocked. It's a three striped cory?? My petstore said that it was julii... Well, I like it still

Mlou

It’s usually a species called False Julii or C. Trilineatus.....I have 8 and once you get it nice and fat it’ll be really handsome fish. They spawn like nut it’s going out of style just like the Sterbais.

Latest threads

Top Bottom