Curiously Cloudy Water

jgruberman

Last week, I added 2 angelfish and 3 glofish to our empty 55 gallon aquarium. Since then, the water has gotten cloudy and even after adding the API Clear Water treatment two consecutive days(waiting 24 hours between treatments as directed) and the water is still cloudy. The 6 in 1 test strips seem to be okay, but I can test again if it helps someone diagnose my issue. I don't want to add more fish before I get this cloudy issue figured out.

Thanks in advance

juniperlea

Well Known
Has the tank been fully cycled? If it has, it might be just bacteria bloom which can happen when you add fish. It's ok and will eventually disappear. You can do extra water changes, which helps. If that doesn't help, a UV Sterilizer is a miracle tool!

ElysiumPlants

jgruberman said:
Last week, I added 2 angelfish and 3 glofish to our empty 55 gallon aquarium. Since then, the water has gotten cloudy and even after adding the API Clear Water treatment two consecutive days(waiting 24 hours between treatments as directed) and the water is still cloudy. The 6 in 1 test strips seem to be okay, but I can test again if it helps someone diagnose my issue. I don't want to add more fish before I get this cloudy issue figured out.

Thanks in advance
Just my two cents, but I’ve never been a fan of the test strips. I go with the API Master Test Kit, supplemented with an API gH/kH test kit. Accurate, will allow you to test for all the parameters you’ll probably ever need to look at, and it’ll last you forever.

OP
J

jgruberman

juniperlea said:
Has the tank been fully cycled? If it has, it might be just bacteria bloom which can happen when you add fish. It's ok and will eventually disappear. You can do extra water changes, which helps. If that doesn't help, a UV Sterilizer is a miracle tool!
I'm not sure if it's been FULLY cycled and I have not yet changed water out. Couple questions based on that:
1) how often should water be changed?
2) I think I read 25% should be taken out and replaced?
3) after putting new tap water in to replace the 25%, do i need to add water additives to cleanse the tap water or does the remaining 75% do this for me?

juniperlea

Well Known
jgruberman said:
I'm not sure if it's been FULLY cycled and I have not yet changed water out. Couple questions based on that:
1) how often should water be changed?
2) I think I read 25% should be taken out and replaced?
3) after putting new tap water in to replace the 25%, do i need to add water additives to cleanse the tap water or does the remaining 75% do this for me?
I do regular changes, usually once a week about 25%. (I go longer sometimes, because I forget). If you're not sure it's cycled, do 25% x 2 a week. Others will know more than me on that.

The additives is a confusing topic IMO. I play it safe and treat the whole tank. All is well and I use Seachem Safe (same as Seachem Prime), because it's powder concentrate, therefore cheaper and lasts longer. I resented paying so much money for someone else's water!

Getting the API Master Test kit good idea, as it would help you, so you can understand and eventually live harmoniously with your tank! :);)

OP
J

jgruberman

juniperlea said:
I do regular changes, usually once a week about 25%. (I go longer sometimes, because I forget). If you're not sure it's cycled, do 25% x 2 a week. Others will know more than me on that.

The additives is a confusing topic IMO. I play it safe and treat the whole tank. All is well and I use Seachem Safe (same as Seachem Prime), because it's powder concentrate, therefore cheaper and lasts longer. I resented paying so much money for someone else's water!

Getting the API Master Test kit good idea, as it would help you, so you can understand and eventually live harmoniously with your tank! :);)
So change the water once(or twice) a week and treat with the water treatment as if I'm treating the whole tank?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I do 50% a week and add Prime to the water. I doubt you are cycled in 1 week. I would get some Prime to protect your fish and make sure you have a kit or strips or something to check ammonia levels. Since you are not cycled add the amount of dechlor for the whole tank not just what you are adding back in. You are going to have to do a water changes when ammonia and nitrites go over 1 ppm. This is the level the Prime protects the fish.

OP
J

jgruberman

StarGirl said:
I do 50% a week and add Prime to the water. I doubt you are cycled in 1 week. I would get some Prime to protect your fish and make sure you have a kit or strips or something to check ammonia levels. Since you are not cycled add the amount of dechlor for the whole tank not just what you are adding back in. You are going to have to do a water changes when ammonia and nitrites go over 1 ppm. This is the level the Prime protects the fish.
What is Prime and dechlor?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Seachem Prime is a tap water dechlorinator. If you have city water you need to add dechlorinator to remove chlorine from the water. Chlorine is deadly to fish. It will kill them in just a short time. Prime goes a step above other dechlors and makes ammonia and nitrites under 1ppm safe for fish.

OP
J

jgruberman

These are the four things I have... I think the one on the right is the same as what you're describing?
15969936879021061841192476517461.jpg

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Yes the water conditioner removes chlorine. You want to add that any time you add water to your tank. I personally would not use any of those other things. Too much chemicals going on. The less the better IMO. The cloudy water will go away when your water stabilizes. The Prime goes a step above regular water conditioner and makes ammonia and nitrites safe for fish up to 1ppm.

juniperlea

Well Known
jgruberman said:
What is Prime and dechlor?
Seachem Prime neutralizes 'bad' chemicals (ammonia etc), and dechlorinates (assuming you have chlorine in your water). I buy Seachem Safe as it's the powder concentrate. It"s about same price but lasts 2 or 3 x longer.

Even if you miss a water change or wait too long, the Prime or Safe will tide your tank over for about 24 hours or more.

OP
J

jgruberman

So to reaffirm my new knowledge points:
1) Change water at least once a week, no more than 25-50% at a time. Replace missing water with tap water.
2) After changing, add water conditioner to the tank in the measurement for the full 55 gallons, not for the 25-50% amount changed.
3) QUESTION: Do I add Prime/Safe INSTEAD of the water conditioner I pictured above or in addition to it?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I would put the conditioner in before the water. I would add only the Prime. One or the other not both. ;) I change 50% every week.

OP
J

jgruberman

StarGirl said:
I would put the conditioner in before the water. I would add only the Prime. One or the other not both. ;) I change 50% every week.
Okay. and the conditioner amount should be for the for the full tank amount, not just the amount of water I put in?

OP
J

jgruberman

I don't understand the instructions on here. My aquarium is 55G and I am probably changing approx 40% of the water.. (pic below)
20200810_154107.jpg

20200810_153919.jpg

This is the Seachem Safe, sorry

juniperlea

Well Known
This is why it's confusing. I add the water, then the conditioner. It seems to me that it works either way. I've stopped worrying.
jgruberman said:
This is the Seachem Safe, sorry
In my 75g, I add almost 1/2 tsp. Don't tell anyone. Honestly, I don't sweat it anymore. If adding to tank directly, it says to base dose on tank volume. Yours is 55g, so I'd add 1/4 tsp. It's safe if it's even more. Nice tank btw. :)

OP
J

jgruberman

StarGirl said:
Correct. Once you are cycled and only seeing Nitrates you can just dose the water you are putting in.
I don't understand this statement about cycled and setting nitrates, can you elaborate?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
When you see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and have a nitrate reading you are cycled. Until you are cycled you should dose the full amount of your tank. After that you can dose just the amount of water you are refilling. Does that make sense?

OP
J

jgruberman

StarGirl said:
When you see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and have a nitrate reading you are cycled. Until you are cycled you should dose the full amount of your tank. After that you can dose just the amount of water you are refilling. Does that make sense?
Yes, that does make sense now. I just checked - 0 ammonia, and maybe .5ish levels of nitrates... in the "caution" area of the paper color matching guide. Is this why I'm still dealing with the cloudiness? Even after changing that water and putting tap water and biological stuff in, the water is still cloudy. I have to be missing something?

This is where I'm at now. It SEEMS less cloudy, but if you look at the wall artwork in the other room through the tank, you can still see some cloudiness to it. Any suggestions?
20200812_083126.jpg

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
It will go away. It just is frustrating because it looks like Dookie. Getting the tank cycled correctly takes patience unfortunately. ;)

OP
J

jgruberman

StarGirl said:
It will go away. It just is frustrating because it looks like Dookie. Getting the tank cycled correctly takes patience unfortunately. ;)
I did just add a 1/4tsp of the Seachem Safe today to help get the tank back to normal. Until the water clears up, what should be regular routine be as far as changes, cleaning, adding stuff, etc?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I change 50% a week with vacuum. If your nitrates go over 40 you may want to do another one etc. Adding fish you may want to wait a bit until you are sure everything is stable. Then add slowly to not overwhelm your bacteria. When you add fish test daily to make sure you don't get a ammonia spike.

OP
J

jgruberman

StarGirl said:
I change 50% a week with vacuum. If your nitrates go over 40 you may want to do another one etc. Adding fish you may want to wait a bit until you are sure everything is stable. Then add slowly to not overwhelm your bacteria. When you add fish test daily to make sure you don't get a ammonia spike.
Yeah, I do want to add fish but I feel like it wouldn't be smart to add them when the water is cloudy. Oddly enough, another 10G aquarium in our sons room has been "less maintained" and the water is more clear. Not sure what I'm doing wrong with this one lol

OP
J

jgruberman

Just a quick update after having spent some time balancing bacteria and water changing,etc... I think it's ready for some new occupants :)

Attachments

New Threads