Question Curious Behavior

JohnB61

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I have had a group of 6 neon rainbows for about 6 mos to a year and last week added two red millennium rainbows one male and one female. My research on them said A breeding pair will spawn and lay eggs around large plants. My tank has only small plants and until today all the rainbows have been co-habitatIng peacefully. What changed today was that I brought in and populated the tank with some large leafy plants. Since then I have noticed the male red rainbow displaying and acting aggressively towards all of the other neons around the female. I’m just wondering if the addition of the plants has triggered this behavior. It’s the only thing that has changed in their environment. Very curious.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JohnB61 said:
So I have had a group of 6 neon rainbows for about 6 mos to a year and last week added two red millennium rainbows one male and one female. My research on them said A breeding pair will spawn and lay eggs around large plants. My tank has only small plants and until today all the rainbows have been co-habitatIng peacefully. What changed today was that I brought in and populated the tank with some large leafy plants. Since then I have noticed the male red rainbow displaying and acting aggressively towards all of the other neons around the female. I’m just wondering if the addition of the plants has triggered this behavior. It’s the only thing that has changed in their environment. Very curious.
Maybe they are getting ready to breed and have staked a claimed territory of one of the larger plants? How big is the tank?

OP
JohnB61

JohnB61

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wrench said:
Maybe they are getting ready to breed and have staked a claimed territory of one of the larger plants? How big is the tank?
60 gallons. That was kinda my thought too.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JohnB61 said:
60 gallons. That was kinda my thought too.
Nice :) it's the only thing that makes sense to me...you out in big tree, that's what they like to breed in and now their being weird haha

New Threads