Curious About Ponds

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I live in california and the weather is very mild all year around. The chances are I probably won't be able to set up a pond but I am still curious. I have heard of people using above ground pools and kiddy pools for ponds. I am wondering how many and what fish are good in a pond. I am more interested in tropical fish than goldfish or koi. How often and how much do you have to change the water in a pond?

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi
I have an above ground pool made from a stock water tank. It's 300 gallon and I have 4 goldfish in it.. I don't do water changes on it unless it doesn't rain for awhile!! I also have a bunch of plants in it so that helps keep the water nice and the levels good!!

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How do you keep cats and birds from eating your fish?

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A panaque would be really cool in a pond, I really like them but I don't have an aquarium big enough for them and all of their waste.

Mehu

Valued Member
Reaction score
A panaque would be really cool in a pond, I really like them but I don't have an aquarium big enough for them and all of their waste.
What do the lows get to? I have seen people in warm areas put mollies in their ponds before..

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lows are in the 50s during winter(sometimes a but cooler). If I had a pond I could probably see if I could use a heater when it is cool. The climate where I live is pretty weird, In November and January it got into the 70s and 80s

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wonder if I could just get a large big and put some apistogramma borelli and rubber lip plecos in it. What type of filtration do you need for a pond and how much can you stock it?

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok so for filteration.. you can buy all in one pond kits... I would advise filtering heavily.. like get a filter rated for a bigger pond than you have.. as for stocking.. it's pretty much like an aquarium imo!! As for the different kinds of fish.. if you can keep the parameters steady and the temperature stable I really don't know why it wouldn't work!!! Also.. if you have any type of wild animals.. consider a net or make sure there are lots of hiding places!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom