Status
Not open for further replies.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey there,

I have absolutely fallen in love with the way discus fish look! A long while from now I hope to be able to own a couple (I don't feel confident enough in my fishy skills yet). I have read the care sheet here and a bunch of other places. But, are they brackish fish? One of my LFS said they were, which is one of the reasons I was too scared to even consider them. I wanted to see how I did with regular freshwater first. Is this true? If so, how do you even go about making something brackish? I haven't found any clear directions for it.

How are their personalities? The ones I've seen in the LFS seem very timid and skiddish. I know that's not the best environment for them and it was kinda sad. I would love to hear any advice, or stories.

dee34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi there, discis are an amazing fish and its a good idea to have some experience before you purchase . i started with discis about 4 years ago and never had any problems . water changes are a must once or even twice a week the minium tank size would be a 55g . they like a varied diet bloodworms , frozen discis food etc. .i would get some plants and some driftwood for your decor .

OP
P

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, wow! I'm so glad they were wrong about the brackish thing! I have absolutely no problem with extra water changes. And, I already have 55 gallon that could be a discus tank. I definitely have MTS. LOL I'll just have to get more tanks! So, in terms of bioload... would 5 discus work in a 55? And maybe a school of cardinal tetras? I read they like plants, is that true? How do you guys aqua scape for them?

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I think you are rite on track, I just started about a month ago my self, I was told I could have 5 - 6 in a 55 gallon as they need 10 gallons per adult so a 55 gallon you are almost rite there you know so I think 6 would be ok and those as a tank mate should be fine, I was thinking of Rummy nose tetras but I can not find them anywere. Oh and yeah plants and some drift wood would be good, I do 40% water changes on mine about 3x a week, sometimes a ittle more but usually 40% 3x a week I have a good routine now.
I am growing them out in a bare bottom tank for now untill they all hit like 4 inches then I will do my aqua scaping I cant wait to get to that point but because I feed them so often and messy foods at that plus I want to keep the water super clean I use a BB at the sugestions of some of our senior members, They will help you oput a lot they did me just follow what they say to the letter and you will have no problems. You should spend some time reading old threads and you will get a ton of good info from that. Now hye one thing I di dnot do like I was told to do was to buy them all at once it been about a month now and I am finally up to 4 discus so I am almost there but it is best to buy them all at once but I just could not afford to do that and I can not save money either other wise I would save my money for about 2 months and bought them all at the same time but then I would have missed out on some of the starins that came up at my breeders you know but hey are all doing great and healthy and I have one of them eating from my hand now and I am waitng for the others to follow and do the same its really cool when the take food from your hand you can feel there little mouths picking at the food in your hand its cool. Anyway thanks for posting and it sounds like you will do fine if you just do what they tell you and your already doing the rite thing by researching and sking questions first rather then buying em and not know what you are doing then asking for help. I researched for about 2 or 3 months and have sucsefully kept a 30 gallon fresh water tropical tank for like 2 and a half years before I went into discus. So good job so far and yup I have a 55 gallon also I love my tank and my discus I just got alittle Red Marlboro last night hes awsome.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i had electric yellows 4 a week then i fell inlove with discus and never turned back they are the best lol but it can be hard if u dont no almost everything about them i learnt as i went along i wouldnt do that studdy heaps before you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom