Curious about attitudes toward algae, diatoms and such

1. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Hi: I have another rather pointless question, but it seems to me that I am the only one here who actually likes a certain growth of algae, or even diatoms, feeling that it gives any tank a more finished appearance, and can be positively beneficial in tanks that hold algae eating fish, or who's fry depend upon the micro plankton that tends to grow around it.
    I know that some algae, bearded say, is harmful to most plants, but I am speaking of more commonly seen algae, like blue/green.
    Just wondering if anyone else holds this view?
    Btw, I do clean the front pane of my tanks, but that is about is with regard to algae or diatoms.
    Thx, rick

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Ric,

I'm with you and some algae in the aquarium is actually beneficial and too it adds to the more natural look of the aquarium. Although I do not have major algae issues, I do not clean my back or side glass panels. Like you, only the front panel gets cleaned. I let the fish and snails take care of the rest should it be an issue at all.

Some fish and snails will feed on the algae and require it.

Too, I do not clean any of my terracotta nor the driftwood. Everything inside of the aquarium is left alone other than the front glass panel.

Ken

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'm also with you Rick, I have a variety of algae in my tanks as I like the 'au naturel' look & having Oto's they appreciate it, the shrimp love the green hairy algae & spend hours sifting through it.
    I only clean the front glass on my tanks as I still like to be able to see my fish clearly & the Oto's look after the other 3 sides unless there's courgette in the tank then all thoughts of algae eating are forgotten

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I like the green algae, but diatoms are downright ugly.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

BBA comes from the devil's garden.

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I agree - some of it is useful but when it overtakes your tank, there's an imbalance problem.

I had 2 tanks running for the same amount of time/water parameters, etc but for some reason, my Fluval edge had a massive green algae problem despite the water being carefully changed every week, no additional lighting, etc and even a million MTS snail ( good for nothing snails :mad: ) LOL

My 36 gallon at the time ( now replaced by the 72 gallon ) had a little bit of diatoms and NO green algae. I liked the "rustic" look and made my decor not look like the "plastic/resin" that it was.....

My 72 gallon is already starting with the diatoms ( new tank syndrome ) and its been running 2 months now

7. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I like algae, as long as it's not harmful. I don't like it on my glass, but there's not much I can do about it if the tank gets too much light, so I don't freak out about it. The green fuzzy algae in particular is a favorite of mine, as it's benthic, grows fish food, and just looks nice on rocks or driftwood.

8. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Ive got a large herd of ramshorns, they don't let me have algae. Id like some though, i like the look of it.