Curious About Aggression Levels....

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by authorofdarkness, Apr 12, 2017.

1. authorofdarknessValued MemberMember

I was looking into some cichlids for a new 55 gallon tank and was curious how aggressive each was and was hoping to get some input from you guys...

-- Acara Cichlid
    -- Jack Dempsey Cichlid
    -- Green Terror
    -- Convict Cichlid

2. TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

I'd put those at
    Moderate
    Moderate to high
    Moderate
    Low to moderate(Unless breeding)

3. fisshWell Known MemberMember

You need to ask about fish called convict, terror and Jack Dempsey? The Acura is mid range on aggression. The rest live up to they're names.

4. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

All are potentially aggressive. The terror and dempsey are extremely so. The convict would like to be, but is small.
    Acaras can be a number of species, with differing levels. The standard blue acara has a percentage of rough individuals (and not), and its size allows it to do damage if you get an aggressive individual. I tried 3 times, and got 2 rough ones.

In a 55, all are bad choices. There are so many better Cichlids that can actually live with other fish, and won't dig up tanks or kill tankmates. They are 4 out of the big 5 of bad pet stores, along with Oscars. All are great fish, in really big tanks. A 55 only looks big til you get one of those fish.

5. zcpettyWell Known MemberMember

Electric blue acara- size of an acara behavior of a ram. Good in communities. :) look onto it

6. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

The electric JD is some sort of manipulation, with via gene splicing, maybe linebreeding or hybridization. Its origins are a trade secret. But whatever caused the electric blue coloration does seem to have affected its aggression levels. They are generally very easy going for a fish their size.

7. zcpettyWell Known MemberMember

There is an electric JD too? I like the electric blue acara. Size of the blue acara looks and temper of a ram. Lol

8. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

A whole bunch of electric blues appeared in the trade at the same time. Many suspect gene splicing, as they breed true, but since GMO fish can't be sold in some major markets, no one will ever admit to it.