Curing rock?

  1. DanB80TTS

    DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

    [FONT=&quot]So i had a piece of live rock, with an apitasia. I know there are other methods of killing them but I took the rock out, boiled it and now have it in bleach water with a powerhead.[/FONT]

    [FONT=&quot]Will I need to now cure the rock? I am a noob to salt so this might be an obvious yes but I wanted to make sure[/FONT]
     
  2. T

    Teishokue Well Known Member Member

    yes cure the rock, since you bleached it. you should have just used easier techniques. syringe with lemon juice, kalkwasser or peppermint shrimps.
     
  3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

    DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

    OK thanks for the info, I had a syringe with intent to do the lemon juice thing but never got the juice. Peppermint shrimp I had read only certain ones will eat them and only if they're small, plus I have a skunk cleaner, wouldn't a couple of peppermints overrun and kill him?

    I have the rock bathing in some tap water now after it had its bleach bath, large portion has came out white but there is a lot of light brown area's, is the brown the dead stuff that needs cured?
     
  4. T

    Teishokue Well Known Member Member

    yea, they will kill him unforutnately. i learned the hard way 10 years ago haaha. yes true peppermint would do well. My new technique is i have a 20 gallon salt as a invert tank. thus peppermints live there :3 i need it cleaned i toss the rock in. out comes the aiptasia.

    youre going to need to cure if for months. if it is a small piece then consider purchasing dead rock (dried) instead. to cure you want to brush all dead off. dont use anymore bleach solution. brush brush rinse. soak. brush brush rinse. soak. brush brush rinse soak..... then water test till it falls to 0