Curing Ick With A Betta Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ashley Campbell, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Ashley Campbell

Ashley CampbellValued MemberMember

My husband has finally found the betta of his dreams. a dragon scale black devil. unfortunately he has Ick. how do we cure it? I've read heating the tank up to 85 for two weeks but I'm worried about the betta in that type of temperature.

2. IRTehDar

IRTehDarValued MemberMember

The temp increase is by far the safest cure for the betta and is 100% effective against ich.

3. johnbettaWell Known MemberMember

and feed live food dipped in garlic juice the high temp is good use an air stone to airate water

4. BlackOspreyValued MemberMember

I cured my betta's ich with a VERY small amount of aquarium salt. Bettas are apparently really sensitive to salt (it irritates the organ that lets them "breathe" air) so you can't use very much. He seemed rather uncomfortable for a while but it cleared the ich right up for me.

5. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Where did you hear that? It's completely false. Petstore bettas are a hybrid of several different species, one of which is a brackish water species (yes, there is such a thing as a brackish water betta). They aren't particularly sensitive to salt and the salt wouldn't affect their labyrinth organ at all, just their epithelium and gills.

That said, are we sure the betta even has ICH? Bettas rarely get it, even if they're in infested water in a petstore. They are just not very susceptible to it.

Can we get a picture of the OP's betta?

6. BlackOspreyValued MemberMember

Huh, the more you know. Thanks for clearing that up. :D

7. OP
    OP
    Ashley Campbell

Ashley CampbellValued MemberMember

unfortunately my camera is not the best. You really can't tell from any of my pictures. I'm 99% positive that he has Ick. how long do we keep the temp at 85?

8. IRTehDar

IRTehDarValued MemberMember

3 weeks to get all of it for sure.
    Ich can actually live in hopt water just fine they just cant breed. a 3 week period ensures every last one has died from old age without producing offspring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice