Cure Velvet(maybe) on my tank How Do I

1. rhandie29 Initiate Member

I am worrying bout my fishes, they are (but not all of them) swimming below the tank as if they are scratching below.When i turned off the light and flash lighted on them, i saw some white spots on their body like glittering diamond.I think it is velvet, and what i read from the previous articles, this disease may lead to disaster not only for the fishes that have these spots but to the whole tank.Please give me some advice for curing this.I am a new hobbyist so i dont know that much on how to keep my aquarium a fish friendly one.I dont have any testing kits yet so please at least give a FIRST AID tip for this one..thanks!!

2. VenomGrass Member Member

I have just recently been treating my fish for ICH. There was an outbreak in my tank and I acted quickly by askingon the forums like you and deciding medication was the option I wanted to take. I used waterlife protozin treatment. and it worked fine.

Velvet symtoms are very similar to those of ICH, Please post some pics of your fish.
    Treatments for velvet can include:
    # Raise water temperature
    # Dim lights for several days
    # Add aquarium salt
    # Treat with copper sulphate for ten days
    # Discontinue carbon filtration during treatment

Please get some pics uploaded first.
    Cheers - I hope you sort the problem :)

3. Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

I have used coppersafe to treat velvet with excellent results.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!!! sorry its under these circumstances :(

aww poor babies...I wouldnt treat for velvet just yet...the tank is so new, all teh signs you have said could be just an uncycled tank....the white spots could be ich from the stress of an uncycled tank....

at this point, turning up the temps slowly to 84-85F for two weeks, can kill the ich cycle...adding an extra air stone for more oxygen, is best..warmer water has less oxygen....you are going to need to do daily water changes of about 30% with some prime if you can find it..the cycle needs to be completed and the prime will keep them safe from ammonia/nitrites for 24 hours until your next water change.....make sure you do 2 good gravel vacs a week to get up all the ich spores that will fall off the fish......see if you can find an api liquid master test kit..it something you are going to need to help keep the tank and fish healthy..it has everything you need and will do 100s of tests...good luck!