Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Cupramine With Live Rock?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by DavidFishMan, Apr 19, 2019.

1. DavidFishManValued MemberMember

My fish tank is 125 gallons and is 3 months old. Recently i had a few fish in my tank that had ick. Two died and two survived. All other fish had no signs of ick. I know there are ick spores in the tank that need to be removed. I do not have a large enough QT tank so I am thinking of taking out all my invertebrates and corals and treating the tank with Cupramine. My question is will it be harmful to the live rock meaning will copper leach out into the water after I remove the Cupramine with carbon? Any other ideas are welcome.

As another alternative, since all the fish are doing well without any signs of sickness, can I just let things ride as they are and wait for the ick spores to die?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

I'm not sure how well carbon does with copper and think I'd rather stick with a specific copper absorber like Cuprasorb. Even then, I'm not sure how long you'd need to run it because the question really is... how long will the rocks leach... and I just don't know. I've got a buddy here who had done much more research on the subject than I have, so hopefully, he ( @Culprit ) can help you out soon.

3. DavidFishManValued MemberMember

Thank you

4. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

I would advise against treating the display tank. The problem is that there really is no good way to protect that gunk from leeching into the live rock. It's why you don''t see live rock much in QT tanks. Also do you have sand in your tank?

5. DavidFishManValued MemberMember

Yes. Live sand.

If I don’t have any more out breaks of sickness and don’t add anything else to the tank for 6 weeks can I assume the ick spores have died?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  6. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Studies report that the longest marine ich has survived without a host is 76 days... So really, a week or so longer is safest. 90 days is a good bet... However, this is without a host (the fish) and since ich is not always easy to see, idk how long I'd wait to feel sure in a system containing hosts. Knowing myself and how very careful I am with my tank, in your shoes, I'd want to be free of any symptoms for at least 6 months. I know... It sounds crazy but without being absolutely sure the tank was safe, I honestly believe you'd set yourself up for more frustration and heartache.

Also, after dealing with this, I'd never add another thing to the tank without quarantine... So, it would be best to just go ahead with a qt now. I understand that a quarantine and its equipment is another cost and takes up space so I'd also like to tell you about the quick and dirty qt.

Lots of folks don't keep a quarantine tank running so when one needs to be set up quickly... Throw a Sterlite bin on the floor somewhere out of the way. Add a heater and an HOB, as well as pvc tubes and maybe plastic plants for hides. Keep up with water quality and treat there, where you wouldn't have to worry about absorption by rock and sand, and you could be done in 3 months. Again, I know it's a pain but I'd rather deal with that for 3 months than do nothing but hope and worry for 6 months... and quite possibly a lot longer. If a fish gets sick, the clock starts over. If the fish die, there's the expense and heartache PLUS starting over beginning with a 3 month fallow period.

I don't mean to be pushy. I only want to share my view about improper treatment leading to more stress and expense than pulling the trigger and doing this right. I have seen more than one example of the very looong frustration and the money down the drain caused by improper treatment... including one good reefer buddy who did his best to save a 70 gallon for nearly a year, but in the end, all the fish and some pricey corals were lost, and it was an ich outbreak that caused it all. I should also say that a member here with a FOWLR just successfully treated his display tank. I don't recall the particulars but it might help if you read this thread. Good luck!:)

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/75-gallon-sw-build.271784/page-19#post-3963076

7. CulpritFishlore VIPMember

A fish can be infected with ich for years and never show a single sign. It can live in their gills until a stressor happens and boom, ich outbreak. That is why I prophylactically treat.

So this:
    Doesn't mean the ich spores have died. I can guarantee that they're still in your tank. So you either need to treat DT (not suggested at all, you might never be able to keep inverts again), or pull the fish and put them into a seperate QT and treat while leaving DT fallow (fishless) for 76 days. If you do that you will be absolutely disease free in full confidence. Like @stella1979 said a QT doesnt have to be much, just a tank and an HOB and a heater. Throw in some cheap PVC elbows and your set.

8. DavidFishManValued MemberMember

Thank you very much for talking the time to explain all that!