Culturing "Detritus Worms"

• Thread starter FinalFins
  • Start date

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Heyo,

Fish really like worms, and I've always like feeding the "detritus" worms [the long wiggly ones] that reproduce on my tank lid, which has an "ideal" environment for these worms, which is damp, and has a food source [algae/diatoms]

Over the past few weeks I've had to deal with the second wave of cyano, which I have under control, and I needed to wash my tank lid twice weekly. I got the cyano under control and the worms have started coming back, and I just captured a few and fed them to my gouramis, which love wiggling live worms [something they haven't experienced since they were in the wild?]

I thought of this before but not controlled culturing, would it be possible to culture these "detritus" worms in a separate container on a larger scale and use that as a food source to add variety to the diet of my fish, and what steps would I need to take to ensure a successful culture long term ?

Has anyone tried this before?

Thoughts, advice and any bits of information is welcomed. :)

John58ford

Well Known
I love this idea, and second the request for someone with some knowledge to expand on the idea of growing them intentionally. I have a pretty healthy population of them in my sand substrates and the fish go crazy eating them whenever I rake.

First thought I have is what actually feeds these guys?

Second question, I think we have talked about this before but how are they getting to your lid? Air stone/sponge? My smaller snails ride the bubbles and get up there sometimes.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
John58ford said:
Second question, I think we have talked about this before but how are they getting to your lid? Air stone/sponge? My smaller snails ride the bubbles and get up there sometimes.
I may have talked about this before but the first time a big patch of brown stuff growing around the area of bubble flow from a sponge filter- presumed diatoms - . Due to cyano I had to rinse it off and start fresh. They only started coming back and this time its hair algae they seem to like- with diatoms as well.

Top Bottom